cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Surface to solid model

ptc-4343385
1-Newbie

Surface to solid model

Hi, I am looking to convert a model that I imported from a step file to a solid model. the model when imported consists of all surfaces. All the surfaces are fine in part checker. My main objective is to modify the part and it wont allow this as a surface model. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Ps using Creo elements/direct modelling

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Edit definition on the import feature.

Then activate the Import DataDoctor.

Check the model tree and make sure all the surfaces are Combine. Shift select all, RMB, Combine. Then I will select the combine, RMB, Collapse.

That will put all in one set. Then you can start fixing bad areas.

Hi Niall...

I'd suggest posting your question in the Creo Elements Direct forum. Mike Minsterketter's advice is for Creo Parametric, Creo Elements Pro, and Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire. The "IDD" (Import Data Doctor) is used in those packages.

In most cases, Pro/E and Creo try to "heal" imported geometry into a solid automatically. Sometimes when there are mismatches that the system cannot account for, you can perform microsurgery on the part to resolve the errors and create a solid. Since the early days of Pro/E, this process was sort of a hidden art. The latest versions of the main Creo Parametric and Creo Elements/Pro software does a much nicer job. However, the process still requires a bit of skill.

But again, that's just for the basic software. You're using Creo Elements Direct (formerly Co-Create) so there's likely an entirely different process. The users in the Creo Elements Direct forum will be much more helpful.

Try posting your question here:

http://communities.ptc.com/community/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express-english

Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks very much for the help guys, will ask in the correct forum. Appreciate the time. Niall

Top Tags