cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Why are Hole Notes different than all other notes?

dcokin
13-Aquamarine

Why are Hole Notes different than all other notes?

Many years ago, layers were used to control the visibility of 3D annotations. This changed with Creo 1.0 (if memory serves; was a few years ago now). You can still add 3D annotations to a layer, but hiding the layer no longer hides the annotation. Nowadays, you're supposed to "Remove from State", and use combined states to manage which annotations are displayed at any given time.

That's all well and good, but... Why are Hole Notes different? (These notes are created automatically when you create a hole with threading; to avoid them the user must uncheck a box every time.) There is no "Remove from State" option for these notes for some reason. And layers still work! Why the inconsistency? Anyone have tips to manage them?

I've joined a group that has just been ignoring these notes for many years, by turning off display of 3D annotations globally. But... there are going to be times when we want to some. As is, if you turn on annotation display in any of our assemblies, you can't even see the model behind the cloud of hole notes...

I've been hiding them individually as I find them (in models I am allowed to edit), and I see this advice on creating a layer rule to hid them automatically, but creating a new layer is less than ideal...
https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS250479

(I think I was instrumental in getting the annotation layer axed from our standards back in the day, when it became no longer effective.  At the time, I guess I hadn't been using the hole threading feature, so I didn't notice there were still certain notes that were still layerable.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pettersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:dcokin)

Sorry, I was using the wrong terminology. I meant "hole charts", not "hole tables". Martin has pointed you in the right direction. It won't change the existing notes, but if you set up your own hole chart which is a copy of the standard one but without the notes, that should stop users from creating new hole notes by default.

Another thing that might help: If you use "Show Model Annotations" you can show the hole notes as normal annotations. Then they behave just as any other annotation and can be hidden through "remove from state". heck, you can even select them and delete them, which will remove the hole note from the hole.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pettersson
13-Aquamarine

Perhaps you could switch to using custom hole tables without hole notes?

dcokin
13-Aquamarine
(To:Pettersson)

> Perhaps you could switch to using custom hole tables without hole notes?

I don't understand what you're suggesting.  "Hole tables" are used on drawings, to provide X Y coordinates and other metadata for holes.  This is unrelated to "hole notes" that I was talking about, which are 3D annotations that are created automatically unless the user specifically deactivates each time.  Most users here don't know to do that, and just leave the annotation filter off, so they never even see them.  These notes are everywhere already.  No getting rid of them.  I was just hoping for more tricks on managing their display, as it doesn't seem to make sense that the techniques available for other sorts of 3D notes don't work with these notes specifically.

Hi,

hole table files are file located in <CREO_LOADPOINT>\Creo 6.0.x.0\Common Files\text\hole directory, for example:

hole_table.png

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

hole table files are file located in <CREO_LOADPOINT>\Creo 6.0.x.0\Common Files\text\hole directory, for example:

hole_table.png

See https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r6.0/usascii/index.html#page/part_modeling/part_modeling/part_nine_sub/Formatting_Thread_Notes.html help page.

Martin Hanák
Pettersson
13-Aquamarine

Sorry, I was using the wrong terminology. I meant "hole charts", not "hole tables". Martin has pointed you in the right direction. It won't change the existing notes, but if you set up your own hole chart which is a copy of the standard one but without the notes, that should stop users from creating new hole notes by default.

Another thing that might help: If you use "Show Model Annotations" you can show the hole notes as normal annotations. Then they behave just as any other annotation and can be hidden through "remove from state". heck, you can even select them and delete them, which will remove the hole note from the hole.

Pettersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:Pettersson)

I think you could do a mapkey that does this:

1. Show Model Annotations, Note tab
  2. Launch find tool, check "Include submodels"
  3. Look for Feature by Feature, type > is equal to > All > Hole
  4. Find now
  5. Select all results (click on one and then Ctrl+A) and move them to the "Selected" column
  6. Close
  7. All hole annotations should show up in the Show Model Annotations box. Click the button to select all > OK.
  8. Delete or Remove from State.

Just tried that sequence (without creating a mapkey) and I think that should work.

Top Tags