cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

apply 3d section to shaded view in drawings

ptc-5659041
1-Newbie

apply 3d section to shaded view in drawings

I want to utilize an offset section that I created within my assembly but when I go to apply it within my drawing the option is greyed out. This seems like I'm missing something obvious here, is this a limitation of Creo? Is it because it's a 3d view and not a planar view or is it because i am using a shaded view? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Daniel,

you cannot show offset section in shaded view in the drawing. This functionality is not implemented. You can display it in Part/Assembly mode, only.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Daniel,

you cannot show offset section in shaded view in the drawing. This functionality is not implemented. You can display it in Part/Assembly mode, only.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

The fact that we cannot show a shaded section view is really sad. The Pro|WorkAround^tm is to make a next level model and cut the part at that assembly level and add this higher level model to the drawing as if it was a section. You can overlay your original offset section in order to have xhatching and edges.

westosky
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Still no fix in Creo 5. Really PTC?

i agree that is seems silly not being able to show a shaded section view within a drawing but for a work around i've created an extruded cut within my skeleton part which is a shrinkwrap of the bulkhead that I want to see thru.section_on_shaded_view_fix.jpg

Nice solution. This is why we still have a phantom transparent component display style in drawings.

Which give me an Idea that I need to test out.

Never mind, that didn't work either.

You still have to use overlay views to get the display style to work.

I think a few product upgrades are highly overdue in this area.

The only shaded view transparency that works is an appearance change to a transparent body or surfaces.

Which, of course, means you have to live with it in your assembly as such.

So here is an idea... drawing specific appearance changes?

Pettersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

@TomD.inPDX wrote:

So here is an idea... drawing specific appearance changes?

In the six years that has passed since this post, we've gotten Appearance States, which can do exactly this ...

Except they don't work in drawings.

Never mind.

I did manage to make a shaded cross section in a drawing using a "zone" cross section.  It shows as a 3D section.  It worked for the special case I had but it is clunky and limited.

zone.png

westosky
4-Participant
(To:rzukowski)

Yes creating a zonal cross section in .asm/.prt and then selecting it under "3D cross section" in the 2D Drawing View properties dialog is the solution that worked for me as well.

Very intuitive! /s

Top Tags