cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo Illustrate Image arrangement, size and export

Ramon_Bohne
12-Amethyst

Creo Illustrate Image arrangement, size and export

Hello all,

I'm still having trouble arranging my exported images in a reasonable way.

Example:

I want to exoprt an image that should be 10cm wide (at 300dpi = 118 pixels/cm).

1.) Previous procedure:

- Adjust the window approximately to the target size of the image (attachment “Bild-01.jpg”).

- Export the image with the desired width (10cm) and resolution (118 pixels/cm).

Problems:

- The export size usually matches the target size in only one direction. Most of the time, the exported image must be cropped at least in the second direction.

- The fit of the image in the window is lost if the shape of the window is changed. Correspondingly, the image will no longer have the originally desired size (attachment “Bild-02.jpg”). So window and representation must ALWAYS be adjusted manually.

- The position numbers and labels vary in size depending on how large the exported image is (e.g. wide 10cm or 15cm).

2.) Alternative procedure (attachment “Bild-03.jpg”😞

- Defining a "page", e.g. in DIN A4 format.

- Fit the image to the desired final size.

- Export the image with the desired resolution (e.g. 118 pixels/cm -> The size is determined by the page size, here e.g. DIN A4 with 21x29,7 cm).

Advantages:

- The representation always stays fitted on the sheet.

- The position numbers are always the same size, no matter if you fit the image big or small.

So far so good, but there are also problems.

Problems:

- Fitting the representation is difficult because no rulers and no guides can be set up.

- Zooming in seems to be impossible if the image is on the top or bottom of the page.

- After the image has been exported, it always has the page format (e.g. DIN A4) and must be cropped to the desired target format (e.g. 10x8cm).

My questions:

1. Are the above two procedures correct in themselves, or am I making a fundamental mistake when exporting images?
  2. Is it possible to set up rulers and/or guides?
  3. Can I set up an individual page size that corresponds to the desired target format of the image (e.g. page = 10x8 cm)? Then I could set my desired image size and place the image in it in a suitable way and export it. Then I would not need to trim the image afterwards.
  4. What about the zooing issue? How to deal with that problem?

Thanks and best regards

Ramon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi all,

With what I learned in my recent query (April, 12) "Creo Illustrate, Different line thicknesses when exporting an image with/without Page-Setup", I can now answer my own above questions:

1. Are the above two procedures correct in themselves, or am I making a fundamental mistake when exporting images?

Answer: No, both procedures (image export via 3D and 2D figures) are OK. But exporting via 3D figures ar not reliable regarding line thickness and the window format. So, for each 3D figure I will create a linked 2D figure. 2D figures will update all changes made in the 3D figure, but NOT the perspective view! When changing the perspective view a new 2D figure is necessary.

Answer: I don't know, but with defining my own page size (see question 3) for each 2D figure I don't need any additional rulers and guides anymore.

3. Can I set up an individual page size that corresponds to the desired target format of the image (e.g. page = 10x8 cm)? Then I could set my desired image size and place the image in it in a suitable way and export it. Then I would not need to trim the image afterwards.

Answer: I can define different page sizes for the pool of pages in the administration tool.

4. What about the zooming issue? How to deal with that problem?

Answer: The zooming problem in the 3d figure page is (for what I know) not solved. But for me also no more necessary, because zooming in all directions in the 2D figure is possible.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

My own answer to my question 3) "Can I set up an individual page size that corresponds to....":

--> At least I found out that you can predefine different page sizes with the administration tool. That definitely helps me a lot, and that also helps with the zoom issue.

Anyone else want to add to that? Otherwise, this point is done for me.

Hi all,

With what I learned in my recent query (April, 12) "Creo Illustrate, Different line thicknesses when exporting an image with/without Page-Setup", I can now answer my own above questions:

Answer: No, both procedures (image export via 3D and 2D figures) are OK. But exporting via 3D figures ar not reliable regarding line thickness and the window format. So, for each 3D figure I will create a linked 2D figure. 2D figures will update all changes made in the 3D figure, but NOT the perspective view! When changing the perspective view a new 2D figure is necessary.

Answer: I don't know, but with defining my own page size (see question 3) for each 2D figure I don't need any additional rulers and guides anymore.

Answer: I can define different page sizes for the pool of pages in the administration tool.

4. What about the zooming issue? How to deal with that problem?

Answer: The zooming problem in the 3d figure page is (for what I know) not solved. But for me also no more necessary, because zooming in all directions in the 2D figure is possible.

Top Tags