cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creo Schematics Lite

HessIT
4-Participant

Creo Schematics Lite

What is the intended use of Creo Schematics Lite?

Is the intent of PTC for any company producing P&IDs for external communication to buy the full version of Schematic?

You cannot export anything but XML files, so it seems this is not intended for communicating with customers or vendors.

I was told by sales reps it would fulfill our needs for making P&IDs, but now that I have it, I don't think it will. Shame on me for not researching further myself, but I was told the only limitation was the size of projects. So a big engineering firm would never get by with Lite, but a smaller operation could use it to complement the piping & cabling plugin that it comes with. Is this not the case? Is it primarily just a sample?

2 REPLIES 2
bbrejcha
12-Amethyst
(To:HessIT)

It is my understanding that in order to get CAT to quit using the legacy version of RSD called Pro/DIAGRAM of what was  apart of the Pro/ENGINEER drawing package.  CAT had heavily customized & programmed most of that tool circa 1993 to 2004  and would not quit using it.... PTC figured out they might get CAT to quit using Pro/DIAGRAM it if they gave the new RSD tool way free.   As we are in a consumer society, think of that as a bridge to get the purchase closer. ... Then when Creo Schematics comes around with the new UI & many new enhancements, they make various changes to how the LITE version is limited.  Smart really.  Better enhancements  other limits to the free version to get the purchase through.   .  By the way the free version costs 3k and comes free with Creo Harness (was Pro/CABLE)   In the beginning you couldn't cross sheets with conductors.  Multiple sheets etc.   Now you can't use dependent  catalog explore over the network. 

I tell everyone to just buy it  😉

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:HessIT)

We have the full license and I am not sure how to get to the Lite version.

We are running Schematics 4.

I assume that File -> Export only lists XML or has the other items grayed out. 

You could also set up a PDF printer (lots of free versions available) and use the File -> Print dialog.  Use the Win printer and make a note of which other settings work for your designs.  It has a lot of adjustments that are really intended for a plotter.  The export to PDF is much easier to use.

Bill

Top Tags