cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Any one using named user licenses for editor or isodraw?

bfriesen
16-Pearl

Any one using named user licenses for editor or isodraw?

Just wondering if they work through a remote desktop connection. Currently we have mostly node locked licenses and cannot open the programs through a remote session.

Bryon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We have received a response from PTC regarding the counted/uncounted. The said they would correct the topic to say node locked and floating. It is not possible to have a node locked counted =1.

Thanks

Bryon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

I believe current versions of Isodraw use Flexnet licensing. The node-locked Flexnet licenses will not work for remote desktop sessions. Registered user and Concurrent (floating) user licenses should work just fine with remote desktop.

BTW, the reason for that is with a node-locked license PTC has to avoid the problem where multiple copies of the licensed application can be run at the same time using remote desktop as a workaround. That behaviour "cheats" the system to the ultimate detriment of all PTC customers.

It's worth looking at the following article that may help CS102518 as there are different type of locked licenses.

Regards

Shaun

Shaun is the link correct? That article is for How to create a Query Builder report that shows the groups of which a user is a member in Windchill. Did not see anything about locked licenses in there.

Thanks,

Bryon

I believe Shaun intended to link here: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS102518

The real way to solve the issue is through the use of the Flexnet licensing server. This means you remove the license file from the machine(s) and install the licenses on the license server. Each remote desktop session will then check out a license from the license server.

Thanks Gareth, I did find that article also. I am presently working with PTC  support on how to change license from uncounted to counted. All our node locked licenses are uncounted. I am hoping the workaround will be to install flexnet on each users computer then installing the node locked license file that has a count of 1 on each machine. I am hoping this will work.

Thanks, 

Bryon 

Use of the license server should avoid the remote desktop issue. Most clients of ours install a single license server on a central machine and have the client machines connect to that for licensing. I guess it could work with a license server on each client machine, let us know how that works out?

The single license file is node locked and counted?

This is what our license file has in it and it wont be added to the server.

# Number of Copies = uncounted

Bryon

Yeah you can't add regular node-locked license files to the licensing server. They need to be servable licenses, if that makes sense. Typically that is floating (concurrent) and registered user types.

We have received a response from PTC regarding the counted/uncounted. The said they would correct the topic to say node locked and floating. It is not possible to have a node locked counted =1.

Thanks

Bryon

Top Tags