cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Styler, S1000D, and Foldouts

GregoryMackenzi
1-Newbie

Styler, S1000D, and Foldouts

I have a question regarding the sequence of numbering in Styler.

I have a description Data Module to which I have added Division to levelledPara. I styled figure as a Formal Block.

Problem 1: With each division the figures base numbering restarts at 1; I would simply like the numbering to run continuously throughout the document. At the moment, due to this, I have added the previous division number to the gentext, thus Figure 3-1, Figure 4-1... I would like to do without this.

Problem 2: In the case of foldouts the numbering does not continue, it restarts, so I currently have Figure 1 (which is not a foldout), followed by a foldout Figure 1. The foldout element seems to be interfering with the base numbering.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I found the answer myself!

I refer you to topic Create a "Consecutive Numbering Sequence Based on an Attribute" in the help file, or page 495 of the "PTC® Arbortext® Styler™ User's Guide PTC Arbortext 6.1 M030"

Basically, in context title in figure, I added a condition IF attribute "id" of element "figure" is assigned any value

Then, selecting the above condition in styler, I selected Generated text, checked the Number radio button, and clicked on the Details button. The field Number format: showed "1", I added a period after it, and in the Label: field added "Figure ". I clicked on the Restart... button and selected the value "(No restart)".

• My only comment here is that this is a "weird" interface design; and I would have liked to see a field that showed the value with a dropdown much as in the Number style: field immediately to the left of the Restart... button. The present design is far from intuitive and hides the values. I might have given the button more thought had it been similar to the other fields.

After a save, I previewed the file in the Editor, ctrl-e. The good news is that the numbering of the figures is now independent of the Divisions and Formal Blocks and shows the number 1 through n throughout the document.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ok, I found the answer myself!

I refer you to topic Create a "Consecutive Numbering Sequence Based on an Attribute" in the help file, or page 495 of the "PTC® Arbortext® Styler™ User's Guide PTC Arbortext 6.1 M030"

Basically, in context title in figure, I added a condition IF attribute "id" of element "figure" is assigned any value

Then, selecting the above condition in styler, I selected Generated text, checked the Number radio button, and clicked on the Details button. The field Number format: showed "1", I added a period after it, and in the Label: field added "Figure ". I clicked on the Restart... button and selected the value "(No restart)".

• My only comment here is that this is a "weird" interface design; and I would have liked to see a field that showed the value with a dropdown much as in the Number style: field immediately to the left of the Restart... button. The present design is far from intuitive and hides the values. I might have given the button more thought had it been similar to the other fields.

After a save, I previewed the file in the Editor, ctrl-e. The good news is that the numbering of the figures is now independent of the Divisions and Formal Blocks and shows the number 1 through n throughout the document.

Top Tags