cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How can I create a Möbius Strip?

ptc-4380682
1-Newbie

How can I create a Möbius Strip?

I'm really struggling with this issue. Does anyone know how to create a nice, visually pleasing möbius strip in Creo Schools addition? Here is what I really want the model to look like: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=316a27ba42a11a71abdffc6614cbf81a&prevstart=0 (the model is done in skechup, free from Google, if you are wondering about how to open .skp.

I need all the help I can get, thank you.

18 REPLIES 18

Some mobius strip/gear models at GrabCAD site: http://grabcad.com/library/tag/mobius

Off hand, I think you could do it with a swept blend on a circular trajectory. Just start and end with a square and move the start point to create the 'twist'.

* You may have to do it in two semicircular sections.

Variable section sweep would be what I'd use. It would make sure the strip length would remain constant, something that would be tough to do with a swept blend.

Of note, I think I came up with a "new" type, and am looking into whether there is a aplce to submit my model t see if it meets the qualifications. I BELIEVE it does, as I've made a paper model, but we'll see.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4380682)

In case Lucas needs a bit more info:

• Make a variable section sweep using a circle as the trajectory.
  • Use a rectangle as the shape of the section (or someting more creative after you try this).
    • Allow there to be an angular dimension that will allow the rectangle to rotate.
    • The section should only be constrained to itself. Meaning no dimensions to an axis line (other than the angular dimension) or perpendicular constraints to the axis lines, etc.
  • While inside sketcher, create a relation (Tools>Relations) such as sd16=360*trajpar*1. Substitute sd16 with your angular dimension's alias. The 1 after trajpar can be increased to add rotations.

I hope this works for you, let us know.

-Kevin

Why a rectangle? A mobius "strip" is just that, a surface. Also, only odd increments of 1/2 turns (180deg) make a Mobius Strip (i.e.: 180deg, 540deg, etc.).

Worked well! I did this as two halves, with the equation twist*trajpar*1/2. Where twist is the number of loops times 180. (I'm a parameter junky.) Using a one sided thicken really shows the one sided-ness well, but a middle thicken will add material fine.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:kleipold)

Kate, can it be done with one VSS (variable section sweep)? Trick question....... If "not", why not?

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4380682)

Lucas,

By the way, I do not know the definition for Mobius Strip, I only saw a picture. If what Frank says is correct, then adjust accordingly.

Regards,
Kevin

This was done using two swept blends, though I think Frank's solution is probably more elegant.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11404499/prt0001.prt.2

Good luck!

Lucas,

Sorry, I tried to "adjust accordingly" my suggestion and I could not get it to work unless using a multiple of 360.

Frank,

How do you make it work with variable section sweep?

Mike,

Your part looks good!

Interesting Kevin, this might be a "bug" not allowing a single-sided surface. I'd never tried it before. It might hinder me in making mine......

Interesting....MOBIUS_STRIP-02.JPG

Well...?

How about a .prt file so it can be interesting to others .

Ahhh, that's the rub. I'm going to try it one more time without a technique I developed, and if so, I'll post it. If it can't be created any other way, I'll have to save it for my future business in teaching Pro/E.

....and besides, it's still interesting.

2GPPOWF0_JL3@0$}YH]9~$D.jpg

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:buddyer)

Buddy, it looks to me like there's a full 360deg rotation there. If so, it's not actually a Mobius. I true Mobius only does a half twist per revolution, or odd increments of half twists. Can you attach a STEP file please?

Thx.MOBIUS_STRIP-03.JPG

Why didn't you upload the PRT.

my english is poor ,i cannot explain clear what is my mean.

this is my prt .(creo 1.0)

2-7-2012 3-38-35 PM.jpg

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags