cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

No Resolve Mode and Back Up Models

CoreySusie
4-Participant

No Resolve Mode and Back Up Models

With the advancements in problem resolution with "No Resolve Mode" you are still able to produce a backup model.  How do you access this backup model?  Can you only access this model in the old "resolve mode"?

http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_pma_hc/usascii/index.html#page/pma/part_modeling/part_five_sub/About_the_No_Resolve_M…

backup_model.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:CoreySusie)

Thank you for the post.  We recently upgraded to Creo 3.0 and when I went to choose a Backup Model there was no Backup Model to choose from.  I played with the option and just as the documentation states you must checkmark "Create Backup Models" at the beginning of each session if you think you may need a backup.  Who does not want or need a backup model?  What were the programmers thinking?

CoreySusie
4-Participant
(To:Pieface)

Don,

Have you figured out a way to access the backup model without going into the traditional resolve mode?

Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:CoreySusie)

I went through a lot of trial and error.  It appears if you set the config.pro option "regen_backup_using_disk" set to "Yes", a backup model can be chosen/regenerated.  I tried a couple times and it has functioned.

The rest of this is before I located/trialed the "regen_backup_using_disk" set to "Yes"

I saved my model at the point of the failed feature, erased the model from session, created a new workspace and got a copy of the model from WC (Windchill).  I called up the last checked-in model and reviewed the failed feature.  I thought about different possibilities and another option would be to add the current WC model to a different workspace and choose "Tools>Export from Workspace".  I would name the file partname_temp.prt.  I would then change back to the workspace with the failed feature part, call it up as well as the _temp.prt.  This way I could have both parts in the same session and could review when no backup was available.  Unfortunately, it appears as though you must checkmark "Create Backup Models" at the beginning of each session like the docs state.

Export from Workspace.jpg

I just located a couple config options that might work?  The default to Save a backup to disk is "No".  I am going to change it to "Yes" and see if I can get a backup to regen?  I also changed "regen_backup_directory" to "C:\CREO_REGEN".  I am going to start a new session and make a part fail to see what I get?

Save Regen to Disk.JPG

Well, the part is showing up in the Workspace, not the C:\Creo_regen folder like I said to do with the "regen_backup_directory" config.  I do not know if being able to choose a backup from the Workspace has anything to do with the part had been saved to the Workspace earlier.

Allowing Backup.JPG

So, I am going to make a part fail that is not checked out or has been saved to see what occurs?  Creo is creating an _BAK and it is not going into the folder I designated:

Creates Backup.JPG

Empty "C:\Creo_regen" folder?

Creo Regen Folder.JPG

I searched my whole HD for the file and  I can only assume it went into the Workspace as ?  I think it was being placed in my cache.  This file has the timestamp of when I asked for a backup to be created and it contains the part number.  So, I have not tried, but "regen_backup_using_disk" set to "Yes" appears to function.

Cache.JPG

I am going to remove the config option "regen_backup_directory", restart Creo and see if I can get a backup to regenerate.  Regenerated the backup after removing.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags