cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Rename Assy With PDM Component

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Rename Assy With PDM Component

Creo 2, M220

I am trying to rename an assy that contains a component that is controlled by Windchill.  I am not trying to rename the Windchill controlled component, only the top level assy.

However, Creo is blocking the assy rename because of the Windchill controlled component, which I'm not renaming.

How do I get around this?  I know I could set let_proe_rename_pdm_objects to yes, but I don't need (or want) to rename Windchill objects.

The Windchill system is the clients, not ours, and I have no access to it.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
10 REPLIES 10

do save a copy.

same result at top level as a rename.

Save a copy makes a needless extra assy on disk and doesn't replace this assy in higher assys.

--
LinkedIn

What's wrong with using the setting? If you don't rename the WC controlled object it makes no difference.

The nice thing would be if PTC had an ALL or TOPONLY setting for rename so that you could limit the extent, but it isn't on my top 100 list.

I guess that's what I'll have to do, but if I'm not renaming a PDM object why should I have to tell Creo to allow it?  The assy isn't controlled by Windchill, just that one part inside the assy.

--
LinkedIn

It's a festering problem in the mindset of software developers there. For example, if i select a number of items in the model tree to Suppress, but one of them is already suppressed, then I can't Suppress any of them; I think the same applies to Hide. Rather than look at doing the most with what's available the PTC developers look to error out even when it's not required, but not in a way that informs the user or gives them a choice. More like a Monty Python argument.

In your case they could mark the controlled item as not-allowed with a check box to override so the config option was not required.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:dgschaefer)

Sounds like you are working in a windchill workspace.

View the windchill workspace in the in-session browser, check the assembly (or part) check box and from the file menu select rename.  This should work if the part has never been checked in.

Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:kdirth)

Nope, no Windchill at all here.  The file came out of the client's Windchill system and will need to go back into it once done.

--
LinkedIn

Maybe the component is driven by the assembly? External reference? Then it is kind of logic to rename the component if you rename the assembly.

You can try to do the rename in a simplified representation, with the component suppressed.

lternatively, maybe with 2 renames you can fool Creo. Rename assembly from A to B, then to C. At the same time, rename prt from A to B, then to A.

Or do a rename of the assembly and then rename the component back.

In fact from the start we set let_proe_rename_pdm_objects to yes and never looked back. We are far more productive that way.

MSav
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

If you received a part or assy originally stored on Windchill and you don't have Windchill. You will encounter this error below for the rename function.

Fix: Just rename all objects in session and than on the disk.

Capture.JPG

Hello Doug

You can add everything to workspace and go offline from server ,or take a backup and rename the required part , then import to windchill and then update the required parts from the common space/windchill cabinet .

I guess it may not allow you to rename because it might taking reference , can you please check the reference viewer once

refer.jpg

Regards

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags