cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Can KepserverEX on cloud connect to a device on an on-prem network?

HW_8785922
3-Visitor

Can KepserverEX on cloud connect to a device on an on-prem network?

Am I able to install KepserverEX on an Azure server and connect it to a PLC on a network at the factory? I'm using the Modbus TCP/IP Ethernet driver specifically. The PLC will have an internal IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.2), but that is not the public IP address. If Kepware is outside the factory network, then I'll need to use a public IP address when I configure the device, but then I don't know how to direct the connection request to the correct internal IP address.

I've seen some questions about using ThingWorx to connect cloud and on-prem systems, but not KepserverEX. Do I need to use ThingWorx to do something like this?

5 REPLIES 5

You need to put this before your IT dept and leave it to them to properly secure this tunnel. This is not something you should handle yourself. I don't know how well this would end up working anyways, maybe it would. 

@HW_8785922,

The Kepware IoT Gateway Advanced Plug-In can be used to connect to an Azure environment. Here is a link to the IoT Gateway product page:

IoT Gateway | Kepware | PTC

I recommend opening a support ticket with the Kepware team. Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened. Kepware has a dedicated team that provides pre-sales consultation.

Thanks,

*Chris

ntripathi
13-Aquamarine
(To:cmorehead)

@HW_8785922 ,

Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened.

https://support.ptc.com/apps/cs_loggers/kw_logger/auth/ssl/log

ntripathi
13-Aquamarine
(To:HW_8785922)

@HW_8785922

Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened.

https://support.ptc.com/apps/cs_loggers/kw_logger/auth/ssl/log

Thanks for the replies! We ended up configuring a public IP address for the PLC, and Kepware had no issues connecting. Since there was only 1 device, this was not a problem. If we had many devices, I could see not wanting to use up that many public IP addresses for all of them.

Thanks again,

Harold

Top Tags