cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Dowloading of PTC software

DeanLong
10-Marble

Dowloading of PTC software

Hi All,

For multiple users with diferent Sales Order numbers, is it necessary to each user download the zip files on their machine

I am trying to avoid multiple simultaneous bandwidth draining downloads.

Does that make sense?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:DeanLong)

On 08/01/13 09:43, Dean Long wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> For multiple users with diferent Sales Order numbers, is it necessary to each user download the
> zip files on their machine *OR* can one download (zipped file) be copied onto multiple machines,
> unzipped and then installed? In other words, is the Creo 2 zip file downloaded a "generic" and
> when installed the license codes sent by PTC turns on the appropriate functionality?
>

The files are are "generic" as you termed it. Only one download needed.

> I am trying to avoid multiple simultaneous bandwidth draining downloads.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Sarah and Randy.

Randy is correct.

You only need to download once.

I personally install Creo Paramertic once as well. All my users run the software from a network server install. This makes life easier for me and allows me to install new builds easily.

I simply have a batch script that users launch on their desktop. This looks like their Creo Parametric icon but it launches the software from a Network location. When I install a new build, I keep the current build just in case I need to revert back to it. I can install a new build or version of Creo Parametric while all my users are actively working with it. When I am done with the new installation, I simply open the batch script which also resides on the network and change the install path to the new one.

The next time my users launch Creo Parametric, they will be running the latest version or build and don't even realize it. It's the same icon they click on every day.

As long as you have good to excellent network speeds, this is a great way of doing things.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Assuming you have access to a server.

Does it need to be installed on the server or can the install directory, installed on a workstation, be copied to the server and work that way? I know it can work from workstation to workstation but what about workstation to server?

Steve G
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Copy is fine. Fundamentally the install is setting some environment variables, creating shortcuts, and installing helper applications. None of those are going to be run on the server. The helper applications will get automatically installed when users launch Creo and the environment variables can be set with in whatever script they use to startup Creo with.

Tom U.
Top Tags