cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Taper mill tool displays wrong in Pro/E tool window and resulting tool path is wrong.

mehrsson
1-Newbie

Taper mill tool displays wrong in Pro/E tool window and resulting tool path is wrong.

Hi all,

We have over the years had random problems with some tools, and now it is specifically the Taper mill tool. When defining the tool setup parameters the tool window is not showing the correct look of the tool, as would be expected by the values put in. Please seecorrect and wrong picture attached.

When the tool window displays the tool in a wrong way, the resulting tool path programme will be wrong as well ! So it is not just a display issue.

We're not sure what is causing this but it is also related to which build of Pro/E we use. When we recently upgraded fromWF5 M160 to M180 (due to supported version needed forPDMLink)theseproblems enhanced and the NC engineers were really annoyed.

As this happens randomly, on differentCAD objects I'm not sure how tofind the source of the problem.

If you restart Pro/E or clear the memory and open up the CAD object again it can work, but might also fail and you have to try anderase/reopen it all once again.

We are still on WF5 (Creo Element/Pro M180) and I have not yet tried if this is a problem in Creo Parametric. But does anyone recognize this behavior ?

Thanks and regards,

Matt

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I've dealing with this for years... It's random and hard to reproduce at will...

I've tried several times to report this to PTC but I'm never able to reproduce the issue... close the NC assembly , erase memory and open it again seems to solve most of issues...

This problem is also linked to failures in material removal features, once the tool shape is corrupted the system also fails to MR features...

I've seen this behavior with several tool types, not only taper mills, although I think they are more prone to show it...

The tool manager as a whole has some "ghosts" in its code... One of the most famous ones is the wrong graphical representation of tapered mills with a corner radius...

Sorry for the bad news... We've seen many improvements in the quality of the software in the past two years. PTC fixed a bunch of problems, but a few ones that are hard to reproduce are still there...

Daniel

De: Matt Ehrsson [

Daniel,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We have discussed this with PTC and resellers a few years ago and come up with nothing specific. But it has not been as big issue until suddenly when we made the last upgrade.

I've logged this again with our reseller but thought I'd post it here as well to possibly get some respone, which I got.

Thanks,

Matt

Just a quick update.

We upgraded to Creo Paramteric 2 a month ago and the problem is not seen so far. So this really seems to be a problem coming and going in different datecodes.

Also, I had a suggestion from one member to try and define the tool as a solid tool and this is now what one of the engineer has been doing and according to him it works OK.

Cheers,

Matt

Top Tags