cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Tapered scallops

Mickyd1
1-Newbie

Tapered scallops

HI eveveryone

ive got to machine some tapered grooves/scallops around a tapered handle. The grooves have an axis ,was hoping to just come down vertically with my cutter following the axis which is at 5 degrees. Do I use trajectory milling ? I'm using creo 2

thanks for any help

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael,

I am guessing you are trying to do something like what I show below? If so, you can do this in 3-axis with TRAJECTORY, using CURVE CUT to follow a curve right along the axis of the groove. If you have 4-axis capability, you can do it with a drill sequence.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Test.JPG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mickyd1)

Michael,

that is how would do it. a picture would help. Do the grooves go around the perimeter of the handle and taper down in diameter or do they taper down radially around the handle? either way a trajectory should do it for you.

Steve

HI Steve

the grooves go round the diameter which is 10mm at the top to 13mm dia at the bottom and the grooves run parallel with the sides. Tried trajectory but can't seem to pick an edge.

thanks for reply

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Michael,

What you might need to do is a sketched curve at each step to get the trajectory to run around the part. Or you might try the drive surface that is in the tool motions, curve cut pull down in trajectory and see if that works because you just select surfaces for that.

Steve

HI Steve

the grooves are vertical was hoping I could use a drilling motion ,I can't put a pic on as I'm on home pc ,the job is like a small knob for turning things on.The grooves are to give grip. I have 10 grooves around the component.

Thanks Mick

Michael,

I am guessing you are trying to do something like what I show below? If so, you can do this in 3-axis with TRAJECTORY, using CURVE CUT to follow a curve right along the axis of the groove. If you have 4-axis capability, you can do it with a drill sequence.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Test.JPG

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Michael,

Jonathan is doing what I was trying to explain and doing a poor job of explaining. I was in the middle of making a part to show you when the post came in. That is the way I would do it. Also you really only need to cut 1 rib then do an axis pattern for the rest using the part center axis to drive the pattern.

Thanks Jonathon and Steve

was very helpfully the picture looks like the job I'm doing.I used 3 axis trajectory then the axis pattern worked a treat.

Thanks Mick

Top Tags