cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

3D Plots in Prime 7 Not Showing on Screen

mfrench
12-Amethyst

3D Plots in Prime 7 Not Showing on Screen

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to do 3D plots in Prime 7 to show my students.  The contour plots appear correct on the screen, but the 3D plots (surface plots) don't.  They look OK when I save to PDF, though.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  PDF and screen shot are attached.

Also, only the quick plot function seems to do 3D plots.  Am I missing something?  3D plotting in V15 worked at least as well as this.

Mark

3D Plots in Prime 7.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Updating drivers would have been my first (and only - OK reinstallation of Prime might be a second one) idea to try to fix that kind of problem, but of course its just a shot in the dark.

I found nothing which would address this problem in the Knowledge Base but it may be worth a try to open a case at PTC support.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Have you already tried updating the drivers for your graphics device?

> Also, only the quick plot function seems to do 3D plots.

??? Do you want to say that a structure created by a function like "CreateMesh" does not work OK?

You may want to attach a demo sheet which shows the error and does not work on your side.

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

This is a new machine and I assumed the drivers were up to date.  I'll talk with IT tomorrow about an update.  it's unlikely that I have permission to update drivers myself.

Mark

Updating drivers would have been my first (and only - OK reinstallation of Prime might be a second one) idea to try to fix that kind of problem, but of course its just a shot in the dark.

I found nothing which would address this problem in the Knowledge Base but it may be worth a try to open a case at PTC support.

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Hi Werner,

I just got done updating my laptop and the problem remains.  For now, I'll just use Prime on my desktop machine, where it seems to work alright.  Sorry I don't have better news.

I'd like to go back to V15, since I know it works.  However, the license doesn't support it anymore.

Mark

Sad news, indeed.

I still would suggest that you try to contact PTC support by opening a support case.

If you can't do so, it may be worth a try to post in the "Mathcad Installation help" section of this forum as this may be scanned  by PTC staff (not sure about that, though).

Its a shame that PTC let MC15 die before Prime is a reasonably equal successor (but then, I fear that it will never be ...).

The quality of the 3D plots in Prime is a disgrace, especially for a company with a full fledged CAD software as one of their flagships. But the quality of the 2D plots in Prime isn't much better either and PTCs answer to the complaints was not an improvement of the native 2D plots but rather the poor and bumpy implementation of a slow third party tool which has a lot of drawbacks on its own, one of it is that its not unit aware (an absolute no-go in a software like Mathacd).

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:mfrench)

What Windows OS are you using?

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:VladimirN)

Windows 10 Education

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

One of the solutions for Windows 10 graphics card issue that they recommend to use: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-drivers-manually-in-windows-ec62f46c-ff14-c91d-eead-d7126dc1f7b6

mfrench
12-Amethyst

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, I just checked and the display driver is up to date.  I had a Teams call with someone from PTC this morning and they are working on it.  They tried some setting changes in Windows, but they didn't work either.  They got some diagnostic info and are trying to trace the problem.

Mark

mfrench
12-Amethyst

Hi Vladimir,

Just a quick update.  I did all the updates possible on my end and opened a support case with PTC.  I got an email saying they were working on it.  Nothing after that.  I've checked back a couple times and have just been told they'll let me know when they have something. 

I understand that mine might be a very specific problem and they may have more pressing issues.  Still, I'm dead in the water and wishing I still had V15.

Mark

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi Mark,

Thank you for sharing the details of the situation with us. What video card model are you using?

mfrench
12-Amethyst

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the quick reply.  It's a Dell Latitude 5530 laptop and the display adapter is listed as Intel iris Xe Graphics.  I assume it's whatever graphics chip set they've stuck on the mother board.

Mark

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Could you provide a worksheet where such an issue occurs?

mfrench
12-Amethyst

Hi Vladimir,

Here is a screen shot and the .mcdx file.  It's just a 3D plot of z=x^2 + y^2

As I mentioned earlier, this file works fine on my desktop machine, but not on my laptop.

Mark

@mfrench wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the quick reply.  It's a Dell Latitude 5530 laptop and the display adapter is listed as Intel iris Xe Graphics.  I assume it's whatever graphics chip set they've stuck on the mother board.

Mark

Hi,

sometimes it is necessary to use old drivers. This trick can solve your problem, too.

Example:

• my notebook contains Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • I use Creo Parametric
  • I had to install old drivers ... 27.20.100.9466 released on 30.03.2021
  • I also had to disable automatic update of drivers
  • with current driver version Creo does not display appearance palette correctly

Martin Hanák
ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Prime 7 shows this 3D plot for x^2+y^2.

image.png

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:ttokoro)

Thanks for checking.  3D plots work on a different computer, so I think WernerE might be right - screen driver might need an update.

Mark

Top Tags