cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Alternative to Knovel Math?

MikeB-RV
1-Newbie

Alternative to Knovel Math?

For a long time our engineering department relied on Mathcad and the Mechanical Engineering Library addon, mainly for Roark's formulas. However, in our recent migration to Prime (for Windows 7-64 support) we thought we'd be able to get the same thing by subscribing to Knovel's Mathcad worksheets. However, it seems Knovel's subscriptions for Mathcad has been very recently been discontinued and they are no longer offering new subs (current subs are slated to be discontinued next year). Converting old worksheets to the new Prime format is possible, but they aren't pretty.

Do I have any options here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prime comes with 15. 15 will open the handbook; and it has the advantage that it still actually full-featured.

Hopefully, by the time Prime works well enough to replace 15 and can read old files without it, it will also be able to translate the handbooks!

Meantime: Use 15 and complain about the problems with Prime.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sorry, Roark's formulas was converted into Mathcad Prime:

KnovelPrimeRoack.png

Prime comes with 15. 15 will open the handbook; and it has the advantage that it still actually full-featured.

Hopefully, by the time Prime works well enough to replace 15 and can read old files without it, it will also be able to translate the handbooks!

Meantime: Use 15 and complain about the problems with Prime.

Well, I asked for options and you gave me one. While the old Mechanical Engineering Library addon installer won't work on Win7-64, you can just copy the handbook files into the handbook folder in the M15 program files directory and it works fine.

Its just disappointing that after spending all this money on Prime, I have to use the old M15 to get the functionality we've come to rely on...

You're right.

Prime is disappointing. Worse, the roadmap to improve it is long, winding, and scattered with features that miight be nice but aren't available now and aren't being stridently asked for like many of the features currently available in 15.

Think of it this way: You really paid all this money for 15, and they sent you a working copy of a new program that they're developing that might replace Mathcad in two, or three, or four more years.

Michael,

PTC is actively looking for alternatives to Knovel for supplying content. In the meantime, you can use the content available on Knovel for Mathcad 14, 15, and Prime.

Mona

Mona - Thanks for the reply. However, I can't get access to Knovel as a new Prime customer. They aren't selling subs anymore to get a login to their mathcad content.

Fred - Being able to open the handbook in 15 is something I haven't tried. I'll check it out.

prop_design
15-Moonstone
(To:MikeB-RV)

i see the worksheet libraries are for sale on the ptc e-store. i'm confused. ptc seemed to have sold them off to knovel. did ptc buy them back? who is actually maintaining them?

Have a care!

What PTC is selling may not be what you think you're buying!

i wasn't planning on buying them. just confused as to what's going on.

Top Tags