cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Importing a set of points from Creo to Mathcad

GS_8802941
5-Regular Member

Importing a set of points from Creo to Mathcad

Hi all

I have created a set of Datum Points in Creo. In my case there are 28 points, from P0 to P27. Those points have been imported from a .pts file.

Originally, there were 28 points from an xls file, which i copy pasted in a .txt file, I renamed that file to .pts and imported as shown in the screenshot. 

 So in Creo i got a single feature (Datum point id 66) that has all those datum points.

creo_points.png

What I want to do now.

I want to link those points in mathcad. Ideally would be a matrix with 28 rows and 3 colums. The 3 columns should be x, y z.

Or 4 columns (the first would be the label column P0 etc..).

What I am doing at this moment.

I copy paste directly the coords from xls file to mathcad. Mathcad creates a table where i can label the columns and i can manipulate easily the data from that table to my calculations. Obviously there is not any input from Creo.

My question is.

Is any way to import the table with the coordinates of the 28 points from Creo to Mathcad as a table?

What I could do the 'hard way' is to check the name dimension for each coord (lets say d25 for x of point 4, d26 for y of point 4 and so on...) and build with those assignments a table that represents the coordinates.

Instead of doing this for all 3x28=84 dimensions, is any direct way to insert those dimensions from the creo model itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:GS_8802941)

Like this:

LucMeekes_0-1685394495902.png

Then:

LucMeekes_1-1685394514297.png

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@GS_8802941 wrote:

Hi all

I have created a set of Datum Points in Creo. In my case there are 28 points, from P0 to P27. Those points have been imported from a .pts file.

Originally, there were 28 points from an xls file, which i copy pasted in a .txt file, I renamed that file to .pts and imported as shown in the screenshot. 

 So in Creo i got a single feature (Datum point id 66) that has all those datum points.

creo_points.png

What I want to do now.

I want to link those points in mathcad. Ideally would be a matrix with 28 rows and 3 colums. The 3 columns should be x, y z.

Or 4 columns (the first would be the label column P0 etc..).

What I am doing at this moment.

I copy paste directly the coords from xls file to mathcad. Mathcad creates a table where i can label the columns and i can manipulate easily the data from that table to my calculations. Obviously there is not any input from Creo.

My question is.

Is any way to import the table with the coordinates of the 28 points from Creo to Mathcad as a table?

What I could do the 'hard way' is to check the name dimension for each coord (lets say d25 for x of point 4, d26 for y of point 4 and so on...) and build with those assignments a table that represents the coordinates.

Instead of doing this for all 3x28=84 dimensions, is any direct way to insert those dimensions from the creo model itself?

Hello, @GS_8802941 

Yes, you can import the table with the coordinates of the 28 points from Creo to Mathcad as a table. In Creo, you can extract the coordinates of each point into separate dimensions (e.g., d25 for x of point 4, d26 for y of point 4), and then export those dimensions as a table. This table can be imported into Mathcad for further calculations.

If you want more details please tell me i give you more details.

Best regard,
FH_10699016

GS_8802941
5-Regular Member
(To:FH_10699016)

Hi @FH_10699016 

Yes please, I would like to know how to import all those coordinates (summed in the Datum point id 66) as a table in Mathcad.

I could extract separately each point but it takes time for lots of points. 28 are manageable but for more would be problem ))

Cheers

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Can you upload here the example text data of Creo?

GS_8802941
5-Regular Member
(To:ttokoro)

Here are the files. The part and the coords files (just a simple text file with .pts extension)

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Like this:

LucMeekes_0-1685394495902.png

Then:

LucMeekes_1-1685394514297.png

Success!
Luc

GS_8802941
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi @LucMeekes 

Thanks for your reply but, what I would like is to read the coords from the model itself, not from the pts file. 

Specific from the (Datum point id 66) from the model. 

Hi,

please ask the same question to PTC Support. They will tell you whether such functionality is implemented. My guess ... requested functionality is not implemented, because Mathcad does not recognize features.

Martin Hanák
GS_8802941
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

I think it is the closest to the solution at this point, as I will get netherless the point coords as a text file, I hope PTC will add the connection of feature data to mathcad in the future.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

image.pngimage.png

Article - "How to embed Mathcad or Mathcad Prime worksheet in Creo Parametric": https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS201396

GS_8802941
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

Hi @VladimirN 
Thanks for your reply, the article is too generic. what I need is specific to transfer a set of coords to mathcad and back

Top Tags