cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

MathCad License Port

SD_10513019
2-Guest

MathCad License Port

Hi,

we have MathCad 7.0 and MathCad 8.0 in use at our school. MathCad is licensed from a license server. For both products a floating license is specified on the license server.
We want to restrict the access to the license server as far as possible by a firewall construct. Unfortunately MathCad does not only use port 7788 when issuing licenses, but has many other ports that are necessary to reach the server.
Using a live view of our firewall, we were able to track which ports MathCad needs to reach the license server.
Unfortunately, the port is always different, so even allowing a small port range is not possible. We noticed some ports in the range of 48000 - 57000, but unfortunately all of them are always different. Sometimes some at 49000, sometimes some at 54000, since today some are in the range 56000.
Is it somehow possible to limit the port that checks the reachability of the server or to fix it to one port?

Error message down below....

SD_10513019_0-1669893136104.png

After changing the port in the firewall or completly opening the port blocking to our license server MathCad works just fine with borrowing the license.

A little bit of help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

5 REPLIES 5

More about this error:

Thank you for your answer.

But that is not really helping me. I can fix the connection issue by opening our firewall more or less completly. What i want to know is why MathCad uses so many different ports to check or establish the connection to the license server. I would like to limit the port range in our firewall. But MathCad is using ports in the range from 48000 to 57000 that are changing each time a connection is made to the server. I have been testing and checking this a lot.

The default port 7788 is not the only port that MathCad needs, even when we try to use a static port in the license.dat file for the server or the daemon.

I will say this again, I would like to limit the open ports in our firewall for safety measures. Having round about 10k ports open where must of them aren't even needed is just to much.

Hi,

license.dat contains two following lines:

SERVER computername PTC_HOSTID=MACaddress 7788
DAEMON ptc_d path-to-ptc_d.exe path-to-ptc.opt

You can add daemon port to DAEMON line following way:

DAEMON ptc_d path-to-ptc_d.exe path-to-ptc.opt PORT=anotherPORTnumber

This way you will assign fixed port number to daemon process.

Martin Hanák

Hello,

i already declared another port for the daemon like you wrote. 

The configuration in the license.dat looks like that:

SERVER computername PTC_HOSTID=MACaddress 7788
DAEMON ptc_d path-to-ptc_d.exe path-to-ptc.opt PORT=7789

Is the daemon responsible for checking / registering the connection from the client? Do I need to change some more settings or somewhat reload the license file?

@SD_10513019 wrote:

Hello,

i already declared another port for the daemon like you wrote. 

The configuration in the license.dat looks like that:

SERVER computername PTC_HOSTID=MACaddress 7788
DAEMON ptc_d path-to-ptc_d.exe path-to-ptc.opt PORT=7789

Is the daemon responsible for checking / registering the connection from the client? Do I need to change some more settings or somewhat reload the license file?

Hi,

you have to restart license manager service, only.

1. stop lmadmin_ptc or FLEXlm server for PTC service
  2. start lmadmin_ptc or FLEXlm server for PTC service

Martin Hanák
Top Tags