cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Mathcad 14 - Excel 2007 Bug

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Mathcad 14 - Excel 2007 Bug

There have been a few threads recently asking similar questions about Mathcad 14 and Excel 2007 compatibility, so I have decided to make a thread about it.

It seems Embedded Excel 2007 components work within Mathcad 14, but the "Readfile" and "File Input" functions do not.

I have attached an image showing an example of the "File Input" function clearly displaying the error.

Both Excel files are saved on my desktop with exactly the same data, but the *.xlsx file does not read into Mathcad.

Has this bug been discussed before? Can anyone from PTC shed some light on this problem?

Mike

5 REPLIES 5

Mathcad 14 was developed before Excel 2007, so it does not support Excel 2007. Mathcad 15 does support Excel 2007, as will Prime 1.0.

Mona

Mona Zeftel wrote:

Mathcad 14 was developed before Excel 2007, so it does not support Excel 2007. Mathcad 15 does support Excel 2007, as will Prime 1.0.

Mona

The matter is not mutual version compatibility. Whichever version Excel, and as long as you have columns of data, save the Excel as Text (Tab delimited), save in file for instance C:\File or in your Mathcad data file folder. Then in Mathcad READPRN("C:\File\[file name].txt)

MCADdata_0.gif

Note that READPRN reads the other Microsoft *.dat . These two types of data [*.txt &*.dat] are as old as Office 97 [maybe 3.1]. Why should Mathcad 14 not be capable of reading these two types of data ? Unless this is the bug !

jmG

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

Mona Zeftel wrote:

Mona

Mona,

Embedded Excel 2007 components work with M14, It's the "Readfile" / "Writefile" functions which do not. As I have said many time the embedded Excel component can be used as a work around.

Mike

MIke Armstrong wrote:

Mona Zeftel wrote:

Mona

Mona,

Embedded Excel 2007 components work with M14, It's the "Readfile" / "Writefile" functions which do not. As I have said many time the embedded Excel component can be used as a work around.

Mike

If the READFILE does not work, then use my way of doing, which in fact is a "transit" and READPRN*.txt. Just experiment. From what you are saying Mathcad 14 does not have the READFILE coded. So what if it's not needed anyway.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

Mathcad 14 does not have the READFILE coded. So what if it's not needed anyway.

This thread was created due to the number of members posting questions regarding M14 & Excel 2007 compatibility. Mona has now given a valid reason why the READFILE doesn't work with Excel 2007.

If the READFILE does not work, then use my way of doing, which in fact is a "transit" and READPRN*.txt..

I do use this, but find having an embedded Excel sheet much more practical.

Mike

Top Tags