cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Need activation code

JE_9644304
1-Newbie

Need activation code

Mathcad 12, Product Code: JG120411KU0993 HHSN HMJB Installed on new computer but need activation code to run. Installed on ASUS Laptop with windows Home OS. Purchased in 2012, believe was the date. Need to get product activated, Jim English
11 REPLIES 11
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JE_9644304)

For that I suppose you need the Mathcad activation server tot run. That was a MathSoft server. After the acquisition by PTC that server was stopped some 5 years ago...

I'm afraid you have bad luck.

What remains is that you can contact PTC support. Maybe they can help you.

Success!
Luc

I ran into the activation problem a few years back when my computer died and I bought a new computer.

I installed mathcad 14 on the new machine, then copied the mathcad 14 file folder from the old hard drive to the new hard drive to overwrite the installed copy, then I had to change the hard drive volume ID to the volume ID of the older drive.  Mathcad just came up activated after that and I've had no problems.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JK_9625275)

Yes, a few years back the Mathcad Activation server from Mathsoft still ran.

A few years back it was stopped by PTC. Question is how much difference there is between a few years back and a few years back.

Then, if I'm right, Mathcad 14 was developed under PTC, Mathcad 12 is pure MathSoft (and one of the worst Mathcad releases ever).

Did/does you Mathcad 14 use FlexLM or C-Dilla for licensing?

C-Dilla does NOT run on a 64-bit OS, which the OP's new computer most probably uses.

Luc

My copy of Mathcad 14 is a PTC product.  My machine is running a 64-bit O/S Windows 10, but the Mathcad install is running from the X86 folder so it's a 32 bit version.

In any case, I moved the installation three times since the initial install in 2010, once when the mother board failed and another time when the hard drive developed problems and started to become flaky.  The first time I copied the folder and reset the volume ID to the original, the 2nd time I just cloned the failing drive and reset the volume ID again. The third time was when I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and the upgrade changed the volume ID and I had to change it back.  (Microsoft offers a free tool called VolumeID for exactly these situations.)

I was fortunate that I wrote the original volume ID in the CD box the program came in.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I conclude that your Mathcad 14 is licensed using FlexLM, and the license is tied to the Harddisk's volume ID, otherwise it would not work.

Luc

The receipt in the box says that it was purchased 8/2/2010, so it's the FlexLM version and is tied to the hard drive Volumd ID.  I have 3 other versions of Mathcad (Mathcad for DOS 1986, Mathcad 2001, and Mathcad 12), but none of them are installed on any machine, the DOS version and the 2001 versions only need the 16 digit code from the CD.  Mathcad 12 needs the code from the CD and then there's the activation from a Mathsoft server, which is longer supported since PTC bought them.

Believe it or not, I still use the keyboard shortcuts from the DOS version for everything.  It's much faster than the drop down menus.

I did reinstall Mathcad 12 once.  I had to call tech support and some woman walked me through the re-install process, which involved giving her a 16 digit code from the disk and the volume ID from the hard drive.  It worked back in 2009, but I use 14 now and I don't plan to go back.  My machine at work has Mathcad 15 and prime, I like 14 better than either.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I'm still a happy user of Mathcad 11, the best Mathcad there ever was😊.

(Especially because it has the largest support for Maple functions, and it works fast.)

Luc

Cornel
17-Peridot
(To:LucMeekes)

Is Mathcad 11 still available to download, install, and activate?
Is Mathcad 11 still accessible to current users (2020)? 
Or is it the luck of those who had Mathcad 11 already installed a long time ago?

Thanks, believe I will use older version now. JE

In NYC, a 'Most Precarious Moment' in the COVID Timeline
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5f6f61a11f86f61a12064st02duc1
Sources: Trump Has Settled On a Name for His 3rd Justice
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5f6f61a1440e661a12064st02duc2
New Jersey Moves Beyond Plastic Bag Ban
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5f6f61a168bdf61a12064st02duc3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Cornel)

It's the luck I guess. Hence my avatar.

Luc