cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Subscript to subscript

JH_9781973
5-Regular Member

Subscript to subscript

Can we add subscript to subscript in Mathcad Prime? 

4 REPLIES 4

@JH_9781973 wrote:

Can we add subscript to subscript in Mathcad Prime? 

First, and very significant, point.   What you are calling a "subscript" is actually an "index" - a subscript is a very different beast and is part of a name.

Second, and also very significant, point.   When Mathcad sees a range variable on the left-hand side of an equation, it iterates over it.   Unfortunately, when you evaluate an expression, the result looks like a vector but is actually just a collection of individual results that do not form part of a data structure.   This catches a lot of people out - Mathcad could do with a separate way of denoting a range variable evaluation so that the distinction is clear.

2021 11 30 k.png

What are you trying to achieve as an outcome?  Would the submatrix function better meet your needs?

Stuart

Oh, forgot to add, it is possible to use this notation in an evaluation (=) if the elements of an array are themselves arrays.

2021 11 30 l.png

The error message for the last definition is along the lines of "a function or variable name is required here".

I've only got Mathcad Express 7 so don't have the ability to create or run programs, however, I believe that you can use this notation with a local assignment operator in a program.

Stuart

JH_9781973
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

Hello Stuart,

I am new to this software and learning over the days. Will you be able to attach the worksheet for my better understanding?

Thank you,

James

@JH_9781973 wrote:

Hello Stuart,

I am new to this software and learning over the days. Will you be able to attach the worksheet for my better understanding?

Thank you,

James

Sure.   My apologies, I thought I had - it was in my Mathcad folder.  I've added a few functions that I find generally useful for creating vectors and matrices covering ranges of numbers.

2021 12 14 a.png

Stuart

Top Tags