cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

xmcd-Files in browsers

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

xmcd-Files in browsers

Does anyone know how to avoid that a xmcd-file is displayed by the browser (as XML) rather than opened with Mathcad when clicked on in a browser window.

Its especially annyoing when I use the webinterface of a mailer instead of a dedicated program like Thunderbird or Outlook.

The effect is there in any browser but it seems not to be a Windows installation issue as the extension is correct registered in Windows with Mathcad and double clicking a xmcd-file works as expected in opening the file with Mathcad.

This behaviour is rather annoying as I am forced to save that file to disk and open it from there. Asking people to send files in xmcdz or even mcd format has proven not to work really good 😉

In FF under extra/options/applications I can see the entry "Mathcad-document (application/x-mathcad-xmcd)" but whatever I set the desired action to (ask, open with Mathcad,..) the reaction is the same - Firefox displays the file as XML as do Chrome, IE and Opera.

4 REPLIES 4

9 years later and we just came across this.  I wish there was a better solution.  It downloads in IE, but doesn't in Edge/Chrome.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
JF_10276105
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

JF_10276105
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Check this out similar issue may be help you out https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/VIEW-xmcd-files/td-p/274540 

Thank you for these other thread links, although I think they are for opening MathCAD files without MathCAD, whereas I actually have Mathcad installed but cannot download the files as standalone files.  They keep opening in the browser as a text file like Werner originally posted.  It is a strange problem as I haven't seen this with other file types before.  Imagine downloading a word document and it opens in a browser as a gibberish text file.  That is kind of like what is happening to these .xmcd files when using Modern Browsers such as Chrome/Edge.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
Top Tags