cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo 1.0 University Edition on iMac running Parallels v7

PaulSpencer
1-Newbie

Creo 1.0 University Edition on iMac running Parallels v7

As a Trainer I have recently received the University Edition of Creo 1.0. Having easily run Pro Engineer WF5 on my iMac using Parallels v7, I didn't anticapte any problems when I ran Creo 1.0. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way. The main problem is when I extrude the 'ghosted' image does not appear. If I click to accept then it extrudes fine. Other what may be related problems are the 'remove material' icon not greying out when I move a feature backwards and forwards through a surface. Any ideas? I'm worried that it may be a Parallels related problem - but there was no issues with WF5.

Thanks in anticipation. Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mark

Your a star! That's done the trick - extrusion preview now being shown.

Thanks

Paul

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Paul,

This is an issue with the Graphics driver on your MAC. More specifically the issue with the Parallel Display Adapter (WDDM). I have seen this too on my MAC running Parallel.

While we wait for AMD to release an updated driver for the MAC and thus the Parallel Display Adapter to make use of it, I propose the following solution to remedy the issue for the time being. While this is not the preferred solution, it will allow you to continue to use Creo on your system.

1) Start Parallel Desktop for MAC

2) Open the following file in wordpad - c:\program files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\<BUILD NUMBER>\text\config.pro

3) type the following test:

graphics win32_gdi

4) Save the file and start Creo 1.0 again.

You should now be able to use Creo 1.0 and see the extrusion preview.

Once the MAC has a new driver for the display adapter, I would recommend removing the graphics item and see if too resolves the issue.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Mark

Many thanks for the quick response. Have come home and done as you describe only to find that when I try to save the amended file in WordPad I get the message 'Access to c:\Program files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\F000\text\config.pro is denied'

Any suggestions?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

OK......in WINDOWS 7, this was a control to avoid unnecessary writing to the C Drive.

Do this for me......

1) Right Click on the Installation folder on the C Drive (c:\Program files\PTC) and select Properties

2) Click the security Tab and click the EDIT to change permissions.

3) Select your name form the list and then check Allow box beside Full Control and Modify. Click OK.

This now allows you change the files in the folder and sub-folders with out seeing the denied message.

Alternatively, you can copy the config.pro to your desktop, edit the file and add the option I mentioned prior and then save it. Then drag it back to the text folder.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Mark

Your a star! That's done the trick - extrusion preview now being shown.

Thanks

Paul

My Pleasure......have Fun.

Thank you very much Mark. I have been trying to get this to work for so long and was contemplating to see if I needed a new laptop with better graphics card since mine seems to not be doing its job.
This helped so much!

Thanks

Another student from NZ

Thank you so much, Mark. I reinstalled and did all kinds of crazy things to get this working, and you, my friend, have just made a student's day over in New Zealand.

Hi Dylan......

My pleasure. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Regards,

Mark

Top Tags