cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creo Illustrate - Training?

MaxR
10-Marble

Creo Illustrate - Training?

Does anyone know of any regularly scheduled or self paced Creo Illustrate training classes, ie, PTC University Training Central LEARN, Enterprise eLearning, etc?

6 REPLIES 6
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:MaxR)
MaxR
10-Marble
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks, @Vlad  That is the problem. There is NO useful training for Creo Illustrate on ANY of PTC's sites. In fact, I have NEVER seen a real training class for Creo Illustrate on ANY PTC site. If Creo Illustrate is to be the foundation of the digital thread, training would go a long way towards both user adoption and customer success.

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:MaxR)

Hi,

I've had similar issue for the past several months. I was tasked with research of Creo Illustrate viability for our corporate environment. I started with the ptc university, which is limited to a few short videos, most of which are stuck in 5.0 version as far as I remember. 

I went to a PTC retailer training, but in all honesty after first couple of weeks of on and off learning on my own I knew 95% of what they presented and a decent chunk more. Their knowledgebase is basically the software help center and materials provided by PTC, which are the same as in the online university. (I think all of them get the same resources from PTC directly, may be wrong though)

I've spent a lot of time going through all of the help center articles, some online guides (not many though as they all present pretty much the same - basic - stuff), once in a while asking questions on this forum, but mostly just doing stuff on live models and having a goal of creating a set of instructions using this software. I succeeded so far and I am pretty confident I know nearly 100% of the software, knowing of just one exception I'm not currently interested in + I know a few more things that the software in itself doesnt allow, but it's built on plain text files so I learned how to modify those pretty efficiently.

There doesn't seem to be a good set of guides. Based on my experience I discourage you from trying to find the help from basic training sessions provided by retailers - they are REALLY basic, I mean the "draw a line and a circle" in AutoCAD level basic. Give a person in your organisation that is naturally curious and somewhat skillful when it comes to computers and CAD time and resources so they can learn ins and outs of the software and then they can propagate the knowledge and be the go-to person concerning issues with the software. I started teaching others at my company last week. 9-10h of 1 on 1 training covers all of the needed tools and they can work on their own now. Granted, they heavily base what they do on my final work, but it's just the beginning. Gonna check upon their progress the following week. Now I do similar stuff with MPMLink, since the work so for was done locally.

Wish you all the best. The software in itself is easy to use. It's just the fact that it's pretty limited in its options and there are bugs present that it takes a fair bit of research to come up with what and how can be done using it. A hint at the end - if it doesn't come to your mind quickly whether something is available in Creo Illustrate as a tool, then it probably isn't...Think of having different fonts for callouts. You'd think it's a copy-paste nobrainer for someone who programmed it, but nope - Arial is all we get. Works neatly so far, I just hope I'll be able to make it work decent with structure/assembly updates to come when I get it to work with MPMLink...wish me luck.

UdoMin
6-Contributor
(To:TomM)

We ended up moving to Keyshot for more of the fine tuned visuals. The training for Creo Illustrate exists and could use some refreshing to get more users on board. If Creo could enlist a power user like the David Martin Tutorial guy- to create youtube training that would be great.. We would be able to create some great service training uploads after diving back into Creo illustrate. Wondering if Creo will continue to use some of the Luxion driven rendering engine components builting into Render Studio?

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:UdoMin)

Hah, I've created a full set of presentations and videos for my colleagues over the past month 🙂 

This is a simple piece of software at the moment, not much to teach. But there are bugs, workflows and getting used to CAD-like interface and controls for unaccustomed users. 

If your CAD data is full and well prepared then working with Illustrate is a breeze. However, ours is a bit off. There's still no good way of presenting pipes and harness in various positions and doesn't seem likely to appear either in Creo or Illustrate 😞

Good luck

UdoMin
6-Contributor
(To:TomM)

Agree. We'll probably dive back into illustrate to help create some of the deeper detailed illustrations for service manuals. As the tech pub crow flies we have used so many digital tools to create imagery to tell the story. We live in the (read only simplified rep) world driven by the full and well prepared CAD data our engineers provide us;)

Top Tags