cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Limited Windchill 10 Access via Creo Parametric 1.0 M020

egiarta1671
1-Newbie

Limited Windchill 10 Access via Creo Parametric 1.0 M020

Hello all FIRST folks!

Hope everyone has been have a challenging yet productive season. I must admitted the we the 167 Buchanan Bird Brains have have many obstacle to overcome, yet we are still having fun and learning lots! You can read more here: Evan G's Blogtime Array.

In any case, our team has been having difficulties establishing a solid connection to the Windchill 10 FIRST Robotics server via Creo Parametric. Logging into the the server via Internet browser works perfectly, but when working through Creo, strange things begin to happen. Sometimes we can connect easily and things work beautifully. Other times we can connect, then an error message saying that the server is unavailable pops up and ruins our work session. In one extreme, a student won't beabel to connect at all!

I have found that usually the best temporarily solution is to delete the .wf server cache folder located in (for Windows 7) [Install root directory, usually C]:\Users\[Account Name]\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire or (for Windows XP) [Root directory]:\Documents and Settings\[Account Name]\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire. (If not those exactly, something similar.) This forces one to register the server again for a new session.

My question is: Have other teams been having similar issues and/or what is the best way to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Evan Giarta

Chief Executive Officer, 2011 - 2012

Director of CAD and Design, 2010 - 2011

Buchanan Bird Brains FIRST® Robotics Team 1671

http://www.team1671.com/

14 REPLIES 14

I would like to reiterate Evan's request for feedback from other teams.

This is just to add to Evan's request for feedback from other teams.

I'm a mentor with FIRST Team 1671 as well as an administrator of PTC products with Pelco by Schneider Electric.

We are still looking at tracking down the server problem. It appears to be a bandwidth issue. Multiple students working in the same project from the same location appears to be the primary problem. While on occassion, we do see decent performance, it appears that more than one student checking/uploading CAD data at the same time is creating a bottleneck.

From my experience, it appears that Creo 1 is erroring out much more often than any previous release of Pro/E with Windchill. That being said, we saw similar problems with Creo 1 and Windchill 9.1, which was said not to work at all.

One thing that we've recently tried was dm_http_compression_level 6. Supposedly this will conserve bandwidth on upload to the server (in Germany of all places!). So far it appears to help to some extent, yet performance is still well below what I would expect.

Thanks,

Josh

Team 175 having similar issues with Creo/Elements 5 but with just 1 user uploading. Even occurs from my Corporate network -- SOAP internal error. Am in process of installing Creo 1 on all of our machines because students say its easier. Now see that may have even worse performance with Creo 1 and Windchill 1.

Did not realize that server is overseas.Cosmin is doing a great job but couldn't PTC supply server state-side? Seems like we are showing the kids the same issues I see trying to work with and exchange data with outsource facilities outside the USA.

I also have to now consider that I connect to Germany via my Corporate WAN!

Posted issue to support.

Hi Stuart,

PTC mentioned that Creo/Elements 5 had bugs when connected to Windchill 10. That's why we switched over to Creo 1 so quickly. I'm disappointed that you weren't notified.

We were seeing connectivity issues with 5.0, so perhaps some of your issues will go away with Creo 1.

Best wishes,

Josh

AdamHaas
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

Unfortunately Windchill 10.0 is only certified to work with Creo Elements/Pro date code M090 or higher. Teams have two choices in this situation, upgrade to Creo Elements/Pro to M090 or move to Creo Parametric 1.0.

To check the date code of your Creo Elements/Pro installation, click Help> About Creo Elements/Pro.

I hope this clears up any confusion. To upgrade, please email -.

Regards,

Adam

Was never informed of this!!!! Was it ever stated here in the community? If I were to go to www.ptc.com/go/first and download Creo Elements (which I am) would M090 be there or would M080?

Not a happy camper having to reload 6-10 machines!!!

Also still no "online" with Creo 1 Edu M020 and Windchill 10 on my Corporate machine and network!!!!!!

Arrgh! Make it stop!!

WC10_Offline.jpg

Concur!!!!

Finished current download from ..../go/first of Creo Elements/Pro. GUESS WHAT?! ITS STILL M080!!!!!

PLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAASSSSEE PTC MAKE THINGS RIGHT AND OPERATIONAL.

I spend hours with these kids and now I have to do the installs all over again and still no guarentee!!!

We use "ancient" ProIntralink 3.4 with Wildfire 3.0 at my company to design Space hardware - been customer driven. Been pushing my management that we need to get with the times and move to Windchill and WF4 or WF5 but based on my experiences so far, adult Engineers, Designers and Drafters would be wringing my neck!

JoshH
3-Visitor

This may be relevant to Stuart's problem.

I must have had half a dozen "offline" messages. I deleted the .wf folder and still had problem after problem. Finally, I deleted the "ProEngineer" file under ...\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER and restarted Creo 1.

This seemed to clear things up.

Like Stuart, I'm also in a Ilink 3.4 and WF4 corporate enviornment, in addition to testing WF5 independantly.

I'm thinking that I'm getting some nasty collisions with WC10, Intralink and the multiple servers.

JoshH
3-Visitor

Adam Haas, you rock!!

With the exception of a couple server messages at startup, I've had no other blips in almost two hours.

I know Stuart has the fix as well, hopefully his results are similar.

Please post for others when you get a chance...you deserve the credit!

I assume you mean the dm_http; dm_cachee_mode; ....etc. settings?!

• I have been loading the machines with Creo.
  • Adam also stated in an email that have to run a .bat to fix items in creo_standards directory
  • Load our custom templates (custom start_part, formats, etc.)
  • Also came to realize that unlike CreoElements, where you get Mechanica Lite for free with install, Creo license also supports it but have to also load Creo Simulate. Now seems obvious but not documented.

AdamHaas
1-Newbie

Here's a link to a post I created: http://communities.ptc.com/message/175501#175501

Thanks,

Adam

AdamHaas
1-Newbie

If you get this message, please click No so that you don't switch to off-line mode.

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:AdamHaas)

Yep...still clicking "NO"...

Top Tags