cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Company Policy: No music/headphones

erine
12-Amethyst

Company Policy: No music/headphones

I was just wondering what the consensus is in the design drafting/engineering field on not being allowed to listen to music while you work (with headphones).

My previous (and first) company was a very large defense contractor and allowed the design drafting floor to listen to music in their cube.  The unspoken rule was obviously to be respectful by not turning it up to 11 and to take headphones out when someone came up to your cube or called.

I recently took a different position and their existing policy is that 0 employees are allowed to listen to music on headphones.  It apparently started a few months before I got here and was an issue on the manufacturing floors so the big dogs made a sweeping, company wide policy.  After 5 months here, I feel like not being able to listen to music fatigues me a lot quicker and I'm honestly starting to feel burned out.

What is everyone's experience and thoughts on this issue? Is this common and I just didn't realize it or is my current company the exception to the rule?

Thanks

Creo 4.0 / M060
10 REPLIES 10
Tmetcalf
Emeritus
(To:erine)

Because this discussion is not product specific, I am moving it to The PTCooler for general discussion.

Best,

Toby

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Listening to music is not allowed on the manufacturing floor for safety reasons, but everywhere else it's fine.  Might have something to do with the size of the company though.  (We're under 500.)

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Most places I have worked at allow music within offices. Some have only allowed headphones due to people having radios that would disturb others.

I've never worked at a location that allowed headphones on the shop floor.

Years ago, in the days of Walkman cassette players, one employer changed their policy to allow headphones (from no music allowed) as long as the volume was low enough to hear external sounds (fire alarms, someone coming up behind you and talking to you, etc). They felt it improved productivity due to fewer distractions.

The company I am at now allows music on the shop floor, but no headphones / earbuds for safety.   Also no cell phone usage on the floor for the same reason, too distracting and unsafe.

Offices is fine to listen as well, but discretion is appreciated, and headphones are allowed there.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:mdebower)

We have one of the streaming radio stations piped into the entire facility with a 1/2 day x 3 week rotation of various music genres. The volumes in the office area are a lot less than in the plant, than in the break room - various volume controls.

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine

No music allowed. Working temporary at Santiago, Chile. This damn country..

scofficial
4-Participant

Music is a great strees buster and listening to it will always make you feel more energetic and happy.While woring if one is getting bored and upset then there is no fault in listening music on soundcloud.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I've listened to music while I work since the advent of the original Sony Walkman in the early '80's if I recall.  In fact, I still have my first one, and old cassette tape version I got in maybe '84?  I have an awesome digital one now, but actually just plug in to the PC at work and stream from youtube.  In most cases the quality isn't as good, but I get to listen to a lot of music I've never heard before.  We have regular drills and alarms etc. here, but they're so loud they'd wake the dead so it's not a safety issue.

scofficial
4-Participant

I agree with this. If employees are allowed to listen music while working then it may lower down there speed of working!!

scofficial
4-Participant

This exception is very rare... I hadn't heard of something like this where music is not allowed even when you are using your personal headphones.

Top Tags