cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helicoil representation in 3D model

Aquamarine

Helicoil representation in 3D model

All,

What do you think is the proper way to show a helicoil drilled and tapped hole in a 3D model? I have not used these in a bit. But I recall showing a drill diameter for the tap only. This to me could be somewhat misleading? I guess I am geared towards paperless designs. I'd like to show the finished tap? I don't know? The finished tap as I understand is not a standard tap size? I think I just read that SolidWorks does have the ability to add those tap sizes via its hole functionality. I do add a model of the heli-coil itself in the sub-assy that follows. Of course it's an interference fit. What are your thoughts on this? I am curious what you all think is an acceptable enough method.

Thanks,

WayneF

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Helicoil representation in 3D model

We have custom hole files and we add in solid models for the Helicoils. We use the models more to drive BOMs than anything else though.

Interesting. So I am correct that the holes need to be a special condition? Are these holes shown as tapped?

A 2-step process.

In the part file, show the holes drilled and tapped for the heli-coil insert, Using a custom hole file is the best way to handle that information.

Your final file is the assembly with the heli-coils inserted. This part goes into your next higher assemblies.

We did the same process for parts that had  weld studs attached. The blank part file and the assembly with the weld studs.

I see I am in the right neighborhood of thought here. That's good. I agree with what your saying Ben. I have never used custom holes before. The information would have to be obtained for them. Correct? I would imagine both the minor diameter and the tap diameter would be some odd values?

If by odd you mean not a standard tap then yes. They are a little bigger. Our holes do not show the 3D geometry of the tap, they are just slightly larger holes. There are quite a few threads in here for custom hole files. Unfortunately they can be a little confusing.

Yes odd in non standard size and that they are not available in the standard hole list.

Interesting that you say slightly larger hole. I looked up the tap for a 1/4-20 I am using.

McMaster-Carr

Hopefully the above works as a link.

It says Drill bit "H" which is .266. This is in fact larger than 1/4" thread. Should it not be smaller tho?

If you're talking the Heli-Coil brand or type inserts (made out of diamond-section wire), they use a larger major diameter (use the one they specify - their custom tap), but have the same exact pitch of the thread you specify.  Keenserts are solid inserts, and from what I remember use a larger standard tap (and pitch) than the thread you want.

For modeling purposes, I'd make it an assembly, an model the hole at the minor dia, with a cosmetic thread at the major dia of whatever tap is needed.  Then model the inserts as simple hollow cylinders with the major and minor diameters.  Done.  simple, and your graphics card and processor will thank you, especially in large assemblies.  For some reason, the assemblies I'm working on actually has the helical wire of the Heli-Coils modeled....Ugh!

No, this tap is used to cut threads for the hole the insert goes into, 1/4-20 referes to the fastener thread. If you want to see values for the hole diameter for the insert look at NASM33537 and the V, V1, and V2 values listed.

Similar to what the other guys are saying.

We have a custom hole table containing the parameters from the manufacturer (ours are metric) so the cosmetic thread is shown in the base part. Then we have a family table of wire thread inserts which are a cylinder with a cosmetic thread. As detailed by Frank this is less of a burden on regen times and the items can be shown in the bom.