cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Appearance Gallery Dark in Creo 3

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Appearance Gallery Dark in Creo 3

I opened a call with PTC. Then two articles I got back didn't solve the issue.

PTC directed me to these two docs.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS153313

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS198813

Essentially I think they are saying that my config option pro_colormap_path can't just point to anyplace in Creo 3, it has to point to a path inside of the graphics library. Like this: P:\lib_common\graphiclib\graphic-library\materials

So it's not clear to me if this path needs to be to the directory or complete to the actual .dmt file.

I tried it both ways, it's better with the path to the file, but not much.

Paths to directories:

pro_texture_library P:\lib_common\graphiclib

pro_colormap_path P:\lib_common\graphiclib\graphic-library\materials

Paths to directory & path to file: 

pro_texture_library P:\lib_common\graphiclib

pro_colormap_path P:\lib_common\graphiclib\graphic-library\materials\appearance.dmt

In Creo 2 there is much more ambient light displayed on the balls and hi-lites are clearly displayed.

This is what it looks like in Creo 2.

gallery-creo2.jpg

This is what I see in Creo 3. The only improvement is I now see one of the colors is transparent.

gallery-creo3.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS145789

The path value of pro_colormap_path should be the full absolute path to the folder containing your custom appearance.dmt file (without the file name).

Re: Creo 3 Colors

Christopher Keller 20-Nov-2015 13:07 (in response to Lar Kerila)

Actually, in Creo 3 PTC changed the way the highlight parameter is calculated for realtime rendering.

In real-time rendering mode, highlight does not use the highlight slider.  it is now tied to the reflection parameter.  So appearances from Creo 2.0 that had no reflection, but a strong highlight will show up in Creo 3.0 with no highlight at all, due to a lack of "reflectivity"  So there is no way in Creo 3 to have an appearance that has a strong highlight without also having a reflection.

In standard shaded mode the appearance looks mostly the same as it did in Creo 2.0.

There are some great new aspects to real-time shading in Creo 3.0 that are really great.  however, there are a number of problems that make visualizing surfaces much worse than it was in 2.0.  I really want the artificial non-reflective highlights back!  highlights without a reflection or with super subtle reflection.  YES PLEASE!

Please review my post about the broken behavior of realtime appearances in Creo 3.

Creo 3.0 Appearances Broken?

PTC is aware and has accepted an SPR.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=4675133

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=4675126

MH

Martin Hanák

Nether one of those spr's are customer viewable. could you copy and paste into this topic.

Hi,

I can't view SPRs, too. I guess they belong to Christopher Keller. I think you can ask PTC Support to inform you about their status.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi

I have solved similar issue ( CS151783 Helping me )

Edit default scene and disable default distant light. ( save and replace the scene )

LightScene.PNG

Restart Creo and look at the appearance gallery

Appearance.PNG

This still isn't even close to what level of realism we had with Creo 2.0. If you look at your screen shot showing "Library   std-metals.dmt" color choices, you can see that the metals shown still are not very realistic as they were previously. It's very difficult to tell the difference between many of these choices.

Until now, we relied heavily on these appearances for metals. Now we cannot any longer. This is not acceptable. Especially in light of the amount we pay for support.

PTC, are you listening?

Hi,

it will not help you if you put your complaints here at PTC Community. If you pay for support then you have to contact PTC Support and ask them to solve the problem. You can contact them via web -OR- phone. Please do it and set appropriate "importance level".

Note no.1: I had similar problems and solved it by installing newer version of graphic card drivers. Unfortunately this solution is not universal.

Note no.2: Creo 3.0 "graphics demans" are different from Creo 2.0. Therefore graphic card which works well with Creo 2.0 can cause problems in Creo 3.0.

MH

Martin Hanák
Domen
14-Alexandrite
(To:davehaigh)

Hi David.

Did you solve the problem with dark colors shown in the Appearacen gallery in Creo 3.0?

I suspect that it is a graphical card drivers issue, because most of users don`t have problems. But some who use ATI FirePro do have this problem.

davehaigh
11-Garnet
(To:Domen)

Turns out my issue was with virtual box, I was using a local VM for testing and it wasn't taking advantage of the graphics card in the machine.

Top Tags