cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo network install -server only

dgallup
4-Participant

Creo network install -server only

We are running WF4, have no intention of using WF5 or Creo 1. No PDM. I'm going to try installing Creo 2 as soon as PTC has shippable media.

I'm a mechanical engineer and because I was the first Pro/E user I've always had to administer the CAD system despite never having a day of training. So I try to keep everything simple and avoid writing code like the plague. I see David Haigh's startup script, don't understand a line in it.

Up till now I have always done an install on the server and just put a shortcut on the users desktops. This makes Pro/E dead simple to administer as the config files only live in one place. I was told not to do this with Creo but was not given any reason why. I would like to continue with this approach, the only drawback I've ever seen was a slighty longer startup time which seems insignificant to me. Has anyone tried it with Creo?

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

David,
Whoever told you that Creo Parametric can't be installed on the server doesn't know what they are talking about. I have it installed in a test environment that way with no problems. Perhaps they are confusing Parametric with Elements Direct, that does have to be installed locally.

As for my startup script that you "don't understand a line in", let me see if I can break it down for you. I had to do some brushing up on my scripting, look at some resource on the web, and ask some questions of an expert on-site. The hard part of the script are the two "for" lines.

The hard part of the script
Top Tags