cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

FlexLM Upgrade technique

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

FlexLM Upgrade technique

Our corporate IT folks have recently "flagged" our installation of FlexLM as being out of date and asked that it be updated (from 11.14 to the latest 11.16 version). I've got the permissions necessary on the network server to let me do this, but just wondered if anyone has any advice about the smartest way to do it. Things I'm concerned about:

(1) Do I need to generate a new license file for our particular Creo 4.0 modules? Or will the license file currently installed be okay?

(2) Is it possible to do an actual "upgrade", or do I need to uninstall the old version and then install the new one? I've never upgraded a license server before - always was in the situation of the server failing or changing and needing to do a fresh install with new NIC information, etc.

Are there any other potential problems that I should prepare for?

One would think that an update would be similar to other programs where it's just a quick process, but FlexLM is not like other software, is it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ah, I'd forgotten I'd asked this. Turns out if I wanted to update the FlexLM software I also had to re-build the license file. In the end, the process I used to update was:

(1) Generate a fresh license file, making sure all the entries in the 'Release" column of the file are "Creo 8.0"

(2) Download the License Installation package from PTC.

(3) Log into the license server.

(4) Copy the installation package and license file over to the server "desktop"

(5) Stop the license services on the server.

(6) Uninstall the old FlexLM software.

(7) Install the new FlexLM software, using the new license file, etc.

I saved this task for a Saturday, so I wouldn't sabotage anyone's work day, but it went so smoothly I was in and out of there in about 10 minutes. It's nice that they've broken out the License Installation package from the Creo Installation. It made things very much easier.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Look at this one - "All the resources you need to upgrade Creo in one place": https://www.ptc.com/en/success-paths/upgrade-your-creo-parametric/setup/manage-creo-licenses

Ah, I'd forgotten I'd asked this. Turns out if I wanted to update the FlexLM software I also had to re-build the license file. In the end, the process I used to update was:

(1) Generate a fresh license file, making sure all the entries in the 'Release" column of the file are "Creo 8.0"

(2) Download the License Installation package from PTC.

(3) Log into the license server.

(4) Copy the installation package and license file over to the server "desktop"

(5) Stop the license services on the server.

(6) Uninstall the old FlexLM software.

(7) Install the new FlexLM software, using the new license file, etc.

I saved this task for a Saturday, so I wouldn't sabotage anyone's work day, but it went so smoothly I was in and out of there in about 10 minutes. It's nice that they've broken out the License Installation package from the Creo Installation. It made things very much easier.

Top Tags