cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Has anyone used the PTC license required to enable solidworks files?

356guy
1-Newbie

Has anyone used the PTC license required to enable solidworks files?

Has anyone used the PTC license required to enable Solidworks files in creo2 or 3?

I have no problem opening Creo files in SW2017 but if I try and open a SW file in Creo3 it says I need some additional license.

Does anyone with experience using both SW and Creo have any input?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Holy cow, Tom... I think you just inadvertently provided me with an answer to a question that's been plaguing me for some time. I didn't put it together. Whenever I disconnect from Windchill, Unite works (at least enough to open a SolidWorks 2016 file). Whenever I'm running a linked session, I get the ATB error. We actually own ATB and have it enabled, too... but we don't have the collaboration extension yet. I should've caught this but having you point it out no makes it seem obvious. Of course that's the problem!

Hey PTC... one license man... just take a bucket of money and give me everything. I am sick of playing with your weird licensing schemes. Geez, man... for the love of all that's holy please simplify this mess.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:356guy)

For Creo 3, PTC came up with some kind of collaboration package extension.

After installing the SW Explorer for Creo 2.0, it opened SW files but they were still imports.

Creo 3.0 was touted on collaboration and that the SW exchange was going to be "wonderful".

All I found was unmanageable limitations if you didn't buy the extension.  ...Which means unending maintenance costs.

Overall, I do not regret my solution.  I bought SW instead.

For my purposes, this was cheaper in the long run and solved my problem.

Background: Client was on SW and I know Creo.

I needed to give them data back that was useful in SW.

Core Creo 3 didn't deliver anything in that regard for me.

The extension was also fraught with version compatibility concerns.

In my personal opinion, another missed opportunity and a rather large flub by PTC.

Don't advertise how great Unite Technology is then provide customers with some weird, functionality limited mess that requires an additional license to untangle. None of the advertising videos spelled out that this was a separately licensed thing. In fact, I feel they led you to believe otherwise. They caught me with it... we upgraded everything necessary to make it work: Creo, Windchill, Creo View adapters, etc... and then figured out we couldn't use the tool without an additional cost.

Thumbs down.

Oh yes, it was a bill of goods and received nothing but empty promises and additional problems for core users.

My going to Creo 3 for this one client created a serious mess.  Buying SW was my only way out.

I am staying on Creo 2 for reliability reasons.

Sorry Dan, the soapbox was out

Did you get your question answered yet?  ...or do we need clarification to your question?

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:BrianMartin)

If anything I think it was a great marketing campaign by PTC. What perhaps some people don't know is that this functionality already existed prior to terming it "Unite Technology". It was call Associative Topology Bus (ATB). They just renamed ATB as "Unite Technology" put some shine on it and got people really excited about it. You needed licenses when it was ATB too.

BTW - if you were turned off by that marketing campaign be aware that almost all of the new great marketed features in Creo 4 (AM, Keyshot, GD&T, IOT, VR) need additional licenses.

To answer the original question as others have mentioned you should be able to open a Solidworks model and it will come in as a dumb geometry feature. In order to have the benefits of associative references you need an additional license.

Capture.PNG

The ATB was a much older product - with very faint support and very shoddy information. The point was very similar to Unite - but I think Unite was supposed to be a major overhaul of that tool. I regarded it as something different and more fluid. The biggest improvement for Unite was the tie-in to Windchill. Imported models could now be recognized as 'out-of-date' and would update similar to a native Creo model. That's not something ATB did without a bunch of manual work behind the scenes.

I think there was some evolution there - just not quite what was promised.

Hi,

below mentioned information is related to CR3, only.

1.] Creo 3.0 is able to open Solidworks models (parts, assemblies) up to 2016 version. 2017 is not supported.

2.] Creo 3.0 license must contain Creo Unite module (336). This module is available for free and enables opening Solidworks models. If you are missing it, request new license file.

3.] To be able to save model into Solidworks 2005 format, you must buy Collaboration_Ext_SolidWorks module (341)

MH

Martin Hanák

I don't know Martin - I specifically had a conversation with my PTC rep saying we needed the collaboration extension for more than just saving. Also, I've pulled something like a dozen license files within the past 2 years and I never see 336 in the listing. If it's supposed to be free, someone has dropped the ball big time.

I mean, not that I'm surprised... but if this is true, I am irritated!

Hi,

1.]

Creo Unite module (336) is available in all licenses of our customers, everyone with active CR3/CR4 license must be able to get the appropriate license file. You can use web tool to request current license file.

2.]

I guess that Collaboration_Ext_SolidWorks module (341) enables also updating Solidworks model (when partner sends you new model version) placed in Creo assembly.

MH

Martin Hanák
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I don't have the 336 listed and I can open SolidWorks files, but NOT when connected to Windchill (unless they are already in Windchill).  Attempting to open a SolidWorks file from disk while connected to Windchill will throw the dreaded ATB error.

Disconnecting from Windchill will allow the SolidWorks model to be opened, but what Creo is really doing is simply importing it as a dumb solid just like if it were a STEP file.  This is why the extra .creo file is created in the same folder.  The .creo file is what you really see in Creo, not the actual SolidWorks file.

Holy cow, Tom... I think you just inadvertently provided me with an answer to a question that's been plaguing me for some time. I didn't put it together. Whenever I disconnect from Windchill, Unite works (at least enough to open a SolidWorks 2016 file). Whenever I'm running a linked session, I get the ATB error. We actually own ATB and have it enabled, too... but we don't have the collaboration extension yet. I should've caught this but having you point it out no makes it seem obvious. Of course that's the problem!

Hey PTC... one license man... just take a bucket of money and give me everything. I am sick of playing with your weird licensing schemes. Geez, man... for the love of all that's holy please simplify this mess.

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the replies.

I checked and my license for Creo3 shows #Optional Modules = Creo Unite.

After reading the comments here in addition to the others in various forums this is a really useless feature because even the latest releases will only open outdated versions of SW. I'll make the assumption this fact applies to all file types.

Thanks again everyone.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:356guy)

This not unusual. Software companies can't just be compatible with new releases of other software immediately.

Looking at it from the other direction, Solidworks 2017 only supports up to Creo 3.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

One more comment.  I just tested this with Creo 4.0 connected to Windchill 11.0 M020 and this restriction is no longer present.  It is now possible to open SolidWorks files from disk while connected to Windchill without needing the ATB license.  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS202059

Top Tags