cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to figure out installation type : Network/Node-locked etc

Highlighted

How to figure out installation type : Network/Node-locked etc

Hi,

I am a system administrator with a global company with thousands of PCs across the world on the domain. We push our SAM tools on the domain. How do I figure out the license type and Service Contract Number of the PTC installations.

For example, there are entries of license keys for quite a few software publishers in the registry which specify the serial key and inform us whether the installation is network/standalone. Is there something like that in case of PTC?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How to figure out installation type : Network/Node-locked etc

Prateek,

You can get that information from Creo itself.

Launch application and Check System information under File > Help > System information

This will give you detailed information about license, machine etc.

Thank you Mahesh.

But is there a way where I can figure it out by just running a querying script, say a VB script.

Prateek,

information you are looking for is included in license file.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Sorry, I don't have knowledge about VB Scripts. As Martin mentioned license file contains the information.

Assuming that Creo is physically installed on each user's computer, each possible configuration they can run is controlled by a unique PSF (plain text) file located in the loadpoint.(C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M040\Parametric\bin\parametric.psf for 64-bit, latest version.)  The "ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE" line in this file will tell you if that particular configuration uses a shared network license or a node locked license.  Network licenses will take the form of port@machine_name and node locked licenses will refer to some file path (typically local).  I can't imagine it would be that difficult to write a script that parses each PSF file and then logs the results.

To get the SCN, you will need to examine the license file itself, either the local, node-locked copy, or the version on the license server.  There are some utilities provided by PTC that you could use to query a running license server.  (See ptcstatus.bat in the \bin folder.)  You will need to setup the appropriate environment variables before running them.

Prateek,

Did the information in replies to post answer your question? If yes, mark the appropriate reply as correct answer.

Announcements