Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lights file in start part

SOLVED
JWayman

Lights file in start part

Good morning.

When I look at the lights (View, Model Setup, Lights) in my models, they have the following lights defined:

Default Ambient

Default Distant

Lightbulb-2

Lightbulb-3

Lightbulb-4

Spotlight-2

Of these, they are all switched on, except the Default Ambient.

Clearly, at some stage I, or someone else, has created this set of lights.

What I don't understand is this: Where is this set of lights stored? What is its filename?

I would like to modify the file so that the Default Distant light is switched off as standard.

How do I do that? I know how to switch it off, but the off setting does not persist. Next time I open the same part, the Default Distant light is back on.

I have looked in config.pro, but I can't see anything relevant.

Any suggestions?

WF4, M220

Thanks,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lights file in start part

Hi John,

when you choose the "load default" button, WF4 looks for "default-lights.dlg", but it doesn't matter whether this file is present or not. If it's present, you'll get no error message, but the settings are the same.

Its been a while since I've dealt with light settings, but your problem rings a bell. I think what I figured back then, is that the settings for "default distant" and "default ambient" are stored somewhere in the code.

I "solved" this for our purposes by creating a bunch of mapkeys, providing different light settings. One doesn't fit it all, anyway.

Andreas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi John,

these information are stored in files, have a look at %PRO_DIRECTORY%\graphic-library\lights\*.dlg

HTH,

Andreas

Andreas,

Thank you.

I had worked that much out, but I do not know what file the software is looking for to load its default lights. What should the file be called and where should it be? I imagine it should reside in <loadoint>\graphic_library\lights. There is a file called default-lights.dlg in that directory, but, if I click 'load default lights' in Pro/E, I see the message 'default lights file not found'. I therefore have no idea what the default lights file should be named.

Sorry I wasn't more clear about my problem earlier.

John

Hi John,

when you choose the "load default" button, WF4 looks for "default-lights.dlg", but it doesn't matter whether this file is present or not. If it's present, you'll get no error message, but the settings are the same.

Its been a while since I've dealt with light settings, but your problem rings a bell. I think what I figured back then, is that the settings for "default distant" and "default ambient" are stored somewhere in the code.

I "solved" this for our purposes by creating a bunch of mapkeys, providing different light settings. One doesn't fit it all, anyway.

Andreas

View solution in original post

Thanks, Andreas. I was aproaching that conclusion, reluctantly!

Never mind, mapkeys will do the trick.

Cheers,

John

Not to answer your question directly, as this is now covered, however you might also consider this in config.pro:

default_scene_filename C:\Users\<path>\<filename>

This lets you set up a scene complete with lights and place the file anywhere you wish. I never like putting custom files in the Creo load structure because you have to remember to save and move these with every update.

Announcements