cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

ProE's default font

BenL.DeGuzman
4-Participant

ProE's default font

At EMS, our drawings (and on the screen) has no distinction the way it display the number "1" and capitol letter "I" (each look exactly the same in Pro/E's default drawing font)?

On our 32-bit machines, we have a custom font that adds an “arm” to the top of the 1. However, this same custom font does not work on our 64-bit machine. Upon opening a drawing on the 64-bit machine, an error message reads: “Font emsfont.ndx can not be loaded” (the font appears to be incompatible on the 64-bit machine).

Do you know of a fix for this problem?

Thanks, Ben DeGuzman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Problem solved.  At the loadpoint "text/usascii" folder, made changes to the ascii.fnt, ascii.src, and font.ndx.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Problem solved.  At the loadpoint "text/usascii" folder, made changes to the ascii.fnt, ascii.src, and font.ndx.

The problem with editing a font file is that now YOU have to remember to carry those files forward to your next release install as well as propogate them to all users.

We solved the issue by making isofont our default. It is a standard windows font, so nothing else is needed to use it.

Yup - and send that font to any 3rd parties that will ever touch the files.

By the way, what caused a nearly 2 year old topic to bubble to the top?

You can put all the fonts you want in a library directory on your network and add the following to your config.pro or config.sup:

pro_font_dir X:\Engineering\ProE\ProE_Library\fonts (or any directory you choose)

This way you will not have to remember to add new fonts to the install directory as long as you carry over the config files.

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:BenL.DeGuzman)

PTC needs to fix the "font" font that they distribute with every release.  It's ridiculous to suggest that users should track down the location of the fonts in every release and recompile the font source files in every release and update the system in every release.

The 0 (zero) should have a diagonal line through it, the capital I should have horizontal bars top and bottom, the numeral 1 should have the little diagonal flag at the top.  We should not be still fixing this 30 years after the program came out.

I just went through this with Creo 4.  I had to manually compile strikethru.src even though the same strikethrough.fnt had worked just fine for years.  Then I had to track down every instance of ascii.fnt because it was not using my modified font.  Yes, PTC puts it in more than one place and was not using mine in the text\fonts folder.

While I'm complaining they should provide a strikethru font, everybody needs to be able to strike through text.  And don't tell me to use True Type fonts, not going there.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:dgallup)

FYI PTC has addressed this issue here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/The-Number-quot-1-quot/idc-p/453389/highlight/true#M8043

In short: No they are not going to change the font and they recommend using a true type font instead. You can disagree with their decision as much as you want, but its not going to change.

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

Idea Not Found

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This forum is flaky.  You have to be logged in first, and still sometimes it will tell you the idea is not found.

If you still can't get that link to work, try this one and then scroll down to Raphael's response.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/The-Number-quot-1-quot/idc-p/453389

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

TT fonts are what all CAD vendors are moving to so they don't have to maintain pen-stroked letter definition font files anymore.

Creo 4 did NOT fix the default font to be ArialWGM, maybe Creo5 did, have not checked.

Raphael is no longer with PTC, so not sure who is monitoring the community from a product management standpoint anymore.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:BenLoosli)

Just to be clear - if you read through to the end of that idea discussion @TomU pointed out that it has been set as the default for new templates:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/The-Number-quot-1-quot/idc-p/500411/highlight/true#M8063

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

So we are still stuck with recompiling the "fixed" font.src file for every release of Pro/E and hunting down every instance of font.fnt hidden in the install directories if we want to keep drawings looking the same.  I'm not going to remake all our drawing templates and drawing option files to use a different font.

Top Tags