cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Renaming checked out parts in workspace

BrianStoddard
1-Newbie

Renaming checked out parts in workspace

OK. I must be doing something wrong. I checked out some parts and assemblies into my workspace. What I want to do is rename a part (Ex: Hose_A_V001) as another name (Hose_A). Then I want to check Hose_A back in and have the original part (Hose_A_V001) go up one iteration with the new name (Hose_A).

When I do the rename (on server and in session), the original part doesn't get renamed in my workspace. Creo seems to do a Save As and it creates another part in my workspace with the new name. The assembly does show the new name. So, when I check everything in, both the original part AND the new part are checked in (I use the automatically un-checkout unmodified objects option). The original part (Hose_A_V001) still has it's current (.-1) iteration and the new part (Hose_A) is also present. So, now I have two versions of the same part, just different names. What I want is for it to go from (Hose_A_V001 version .-1) to (Hose_A version .-2).

I've been able to do a rename in Windchill but then I have to remove everything relating to the nenamed part (parts and assemblies) from my workspace, check everything back out and then it just shows the new name. Isn't this something that can be done on the fly??

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sir

You can rename the checkedout parts in Windchill Server(Windchill cabinet).

and then go to Workspace

go to tools

press synchronise (tools dropdown)

It will automatically update the parts in workspace to new names

This will not change the Iteration

I hope this will solve your problem

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sir

You can rename the checkedout parts in Windchill Server(Windchill cabinet).

and then go to Workspace

go to tools

press synchronise (tools dropdown)

It will automatically update the parts in workspace to new names

This will not change the Iteration

I hope this will solve your problem

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Just a comment (not related to the question): instead of unchecking-out unmodified objects, what we normally do is to use the function "Add to Workspace" instead of "Check out". During working on objects, we check out only objects that we desire to modify and later check in. I normally check out from Pro/E screen, under File menu, when I open an object.

One reason is that checked out objects in your workspace cannot be checked out by others. Also, it might be faster to "add to work space" rather than check out, not very sure about that.
I never used that function of automatically uncheck out unmoduified object. PDMLink simply won't allow me to check in objects that are not modified.

Once a file has been checked in, it cannot be renamed in the local work space. You must rename it in IntraLink and then use the SYNC function in the work space. The file in the work space will now display the new name.

Top Tags