cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

home-use licenses

Gucio
14-Alexandrite

home-use licenses

What is the format of files created with "Home-use license" ?? When file was created in trail version of Creo there is no possibility to open it in comersial version. Question is: Will it be possible with home-use license?? What in case when user did some work at home an took it to office?

Krzysztof
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Gucio)

Hi,

when customer buys subscription license of Creo Parametric, PTC adds 2 Home-use licenses to every single commercial license as gift.

• Users are allowed to install Home-use licenses on their personal home computers, only.
  • Home-use licenses must not be installed on company computers.
  • Home-use licenses enable users to do their production work at home.
  • Data created with Creo using Home-use licenses are readable with Creo using commercial license and vice versa.

MH

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If I understand correctly, the hone-use license is a rebranded academic version and the files are not compatible with the commercial version.

If you need to do work at home, and have enough licenses, you can borrow a commercial version for a period of time realizing that your license pool at work has been reduced by 1.

Alternative is to permanently transfer a license from your work server pool to your home computer. We just did this for a manager so he can learn Creo 4.

At one point we were able to set up a VPN that allowed me to use a license from work on my home computer, pretty much as if I was actually at work. I haven't done it in a while, but it's likely still a possibility, if people have the appropriate IT support. That way you don't have to "borrow" a license, which makes it unavailable if you're not using it.

Gucio
14-Alexandrite
(To:KenFarley)

borrowing license or VPN connection sometimes is banned by company's policies. ‌it was the reason for creating home-use license (I suppose).

But I want to be 100% sure that files will be readable in comersial version.

Krzysztof
Gucio
14-Alexandrite
(To:BenLoosli)

HI Ben,

to borrow you have to connect your personal computer to company's environment - what is not allowed sometimes.

Krzysztof
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Right, we have that issue here which is why I transferred a license to the manager's personal laptop for his use away from the office.

I stand corrected on the home-use compatibility issue, as Martin has explained, the files should be transferrable.

However, the fact that home-use licenses are ONLY available with subscription-based licenses means that we will NEVER get home-use licenses here. The cost of converting is too expensive. Our Mathcad licenses are subscription and they do have the home-use licenses included when we get new license files.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

Good news, it's not just subscription, looking at the terms pdf, it's for either subscription or for perpetual (with active support)

Stephen,

in case of Creo home use licenses are provided for subscription licenses, only. See PDF again.

MH

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MartinHanak)

Seems odd but I see the line at the bottom. Why do they say it can be used with a perpetual license (with support) if they only provide it for subscription licenses??

Martin Hanák

Hello.

We are looking to add subscription license, which will also give us 2 home licenses. One of those would be installed on home workstation laptop. Occasionally, this laptop will be brought to work to check work done, which means it will be on the same network as "master license". If connected to internet it will be communication from the same IP address. Is this a problem for PTC ?

Thanks

Hi,

I would also like to know the answer to this question ...

You can open Case at PTC Support and ask them the same question.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

I asked PTC Support two questions ... Q1 and Q2 and received answers ... see below.

Q1: Can I bring my personal laptop to the office and attach it to company's network and transfer data ?
A1: Yes, this can be possible.

Q2: Can I bring my personal laptop to the office and attach it to company's network and launch Creo using Home license ?
A2: No, if the computer is linked to company’s network it should use the license server of the company and the Home use license should be used only when the computer is not linked to a network.

Martin Hanák

Thank you Martin!

I think it is a stupid policy, but nonetheless good to know.

Kind regards

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

when customer buys subscription license of Creo Parametric, PTC adds 2 Home-use licenses to every single commercial license as gift.

• Users are allowed to install Home-use licenses on their personal home computers, only.
  • Home-use licenses must not be installed on company computers.
  • Home-use licenses enable users to do their production work at home.
  • Data created with Creo using Home-use licenses are readable with Creo using commercial license and vice versa.

MH

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Is that specifically "subscription" license as opposed to the purchase of a license?

Hi,

there are two types of Creo commercial licenses:

• perpetual ... company buys license, when it stops paying license support, license is frozen on current Creo version and works forever
  • subscription ... company buys license, when it stops paying license support, license is lost

MH

Martin Hanák
Gucio
14-Alexandrite

‌hi Martin,

thx for reply..

I'm aware about first 3 points. Home Use Policies is described in PTC Support Terms & Conditions document https://www.ptc.com/~/media/Files/PDFs/legal-agreements/october/PTC-Support-Services_Terms_and_Conditions-Oct-1-2016.pdf…

but I can not find any informations about possibility to open home-use files in comersial Creo.

Are you sure about last point?? Or you only suppose that it worsk in that way?? have you got any sample of file created with home-use license. could you please share it??

Krzysztof
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

unfortunately I did not have time to test home use license, therefore I do not have any practical experience.

In the past I read following "definition":

Home Use licenses

Home Use licenses are now included in the Creo Essentials and Engineer subscription packages. One Home Use license is included with each locked license, and two Home Use licenses are included with each floating license. The Home Use license includes Creo Essentials functionality.

Home Use licenses are restricted to the same user who is accessing the purchased license, and are to be installed on personal computers not located or used in the workplace. Home Use licenses are not allowed to be used in the workplace by additional users. Permitted users are allowed to perform commercial/production work with Home Use licenses on their personal computers.

I hope that the meaning of last sentence is ... Data created with Creo using Home-use licenses are readable with Creo using commercial license and vice versa.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin

Do you know what installer to use (standard install, academic version or demo installer) ?

Regards

Bernard

@BernardWielfaer wrote:

Hi Martin

Do you know what installer to use (standard install, academic version or demo installer) ?

Regards

Bernard

Hi,

standard install, because home use license is locked commercial license intended for use on the user's personal computer.

Martin Hanák

this is very helpful,

but what then is the difference between a home use license and a commercial license?

what are the limitations?

thank you

KK

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:kk87)

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS246939

• Home Use licenses are restricted to the same user who is accessing the purchased license, and are to be installed on personal computers not located or used in the workplace.
  • Home Use licenses are not allowed to be used in the workplace by additional users. Permitted users are allowed to perform commercial/production work with Home Use licenses on their personal computers.
  • Refer to Home Use Polices section of PTC Support Services – Terms & Conditions.
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:kk87)

@kk87 wrote:

this is very helpful,

but what then is the difference between a home use license and a commercial license?

what are the limitations?

thank you

KK

Hi,

the difference may be in the available functionality (but it doesn't have to be ... I am not 100% sure)

Example:

Customer bought qty 1 of PTC Creo Parametric Essentials - Sub Bundle package.

In this case he can use:

• qty 1 of Creo Essentials license named PROE_EssentialsM and ...
  • qty 2 of Creo Essentials Home Use licenses named PROE_EssentialsMHome

Functionality of PROE_EssentialsM and PROE_EssentialsMHome is equal.

Martin Hanák
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Not sure if this is universally true, but the home use licenses we have are basic licenses.  They do not include functions like advanced assembly, mechanism dynamics, isdx, etc.

As far as I know it's true. If I remember correctly, no matter what licenses you have at your company, home use licenses will be the base Design Essentials license.
DS_8977438
5-Regular Member

Hi,
I have a question. How would a user do to obtain this home license after installing Creo on a personal home computer.
We normally have a internal license server we connect to 7788@xxx  available through VPN. But home computers are not allowed through that VPN and the licensing server is not in a DMZ.

Is it possible to use simple Licence identification using the SON or SCN numbers ?
If so, how does PTC know that it is a Home license that is requested, and not one of the "real". multi-site

@DS_8977438 wrote:

Hi,
I have a question. How would a user do to obtain this home license after installing Creo on a personal home computer.
We normally have a internal license server we connect to 7788@xxx  available through VPN. But home computers are not allowed through that VPN and the licensing server is not in a DMZ.

Is it possible to use simple Licence identification using the SON or SCN numbers ?
If so, how does PTC know that it is a Home license that is requested, and not one of the "real". multi-site

Hi,

home license is a locked license that can be requested at https://support.ptc.com/apps/licensePortal/auth/ssl/advsearch page using appropriate SON.

Also read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS246939 

Martin Hanák
DS_8977438
5-Regular Member

Thanks,

Not sure I'm finding them though. Are they called "Mechanism Design" and there are one locked Mechanism Design for every Floating "Creo Parametric (Formerly Foundation XE)" license.

cannot find any post/rows  that say PROE_EssentialsMHome or Node-lock or similar
Only Floating or locked, and the feature name is PROE_FoundationAdv.

Does this mean that there are no home license features attached to these licenses or do they need to be requested additionally some way?

Thanks in advance 

Hi,

as far as I know, home-use licenses are bundled only with subscription licenses like Creo Essentials or Creo Design Essentials. If you have PROE_FoundationAdv license, it means you have a rather old package purchased as a perpetual license back in the days (if I'm not mistaken).

For this types of licenses there are no home-use licenses available.

Top Tags