cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

problem regarding dimensions witness lines in Creo drawing

MK_10693062
4-Participant

problem regarding dimensions witness lines in Creo drawing

I am using Creo Parametric Release 4.0 and DatecodeM150

I am facing some problem regarding dimensions witness lines in Creo drawing. Every time I regenerate, or check-in check-out part, dimension witness line gets disturbed (elongated in/out of view). Problem seen specifically for Parametric dimensions which are converted to ordinate dimension.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MK_10693062)

Please post a before and after picture of the problem.

MK_10693062
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Please refer image attached. Hope this will help to understand problem.

MK_10693062_0-1684984688520.png

Please see dimension witness lines are disturbed

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Usually, purple dimensions mean a created dimension has lost its attachment point. when they lose their attachment, they don't act right. In this case, maybe this is caused by the drawing being saved after modification and not the model (there are other reasons)

Sometimes you can edit attachment and re-attach, sometimes you have to recreate the ordinate dimensions.

If I was fixing this, I would try the edit references on the dimension and if that didn't work, I would recreate one or 2 of the dimensions and save, clear memory and reopen to see if it fixed it (all to check if it works before doing a lot of work only to find there was a different problem.

MK_10693062
4-Participant

Thank you for your response.

All my dimensions are parametric and didn't lose its attachment. The witness line regains its original position if I move view a little and get disturbed back even if I switch between sheets or check-in check-out on windchill.

In addition to this, I also changing the snaplines reference from view to object but didn't worked.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Ah, so I see now that your text color is also magenta. That color has been long associated "failed dimensions", which is why that was my initial conclusion.

When dimensions don't correspond to the model upon first opening, I can think of a few reasons:

1.. the config setting for save_display is set to yes that saves a "snapshot" of how the drawing looked but this sometimes shows incorrectly and needs a drawing regen to get the drawing to show correctly. Usually the display is based on a prior model iteration, the model changed and then when the drawing was opened, the  "saved display" showed the old "snapshot"

2. The config option auto_regen_views is set to no, I think this could also be associated with #1. I use this option to help with large assy drawing speed.

3.  the drawing was changed/saved/checked in to windchill but the part/assy model was not checked in. Some detail items, even though they are done in the drawing, are actually saved in the model and require the model to be checked in also.

Hopefully these help???

MK_10693062
4-Participant

Thak you for your reply. 

I tried all settings you suggested in point 1, but it didn't solve the problem. 

I tried to fix witness lines with snaplines, this solve problem for dimension without jogs. But for dimension with jogs gets U like shape as position of jogs cannot fix by snaplines. 

Please let me know if you can suggest any alternate solution to this problem. If I get any further solution, will post it here.

Thank you.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Is this only on one drawing/model or everything you do?

Can you share the model and drawing and zip and attach the files to the post? Or if you can re-create the problem on a dummy model/drawing.

Is there any geometry in the part other the the solid geometry? Such as curves or surfaces that are away from the solid part geometry. It's not unusual for views/dimensions to move when other geometry it turned on/off via layers or hide/unhide.

Without the models, it is difficult to troubleshoot the problem.

Top Tags