cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Running parallel activities in a workflow

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Running parallel activities in a workflow

I want to add an activity in one of our ECN flows that runs in parallel to the rest of the approval so that the reviews and so on continue and a part can get released but the ECN itself wouldn't be resolved until that last parallel activity is completed. 

The idea is that the release of a part isn't gated by that one activity that can happen throughout the ECN flow. 

Dobi_0-1695741609680.png

Looks like paralle expressions are ok. Any pros/cons to doing this with activities? Any pitfalls? Or perhaps a different approach? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:HelesicPetr)

@HelesicPetr I'm mostly looking for a sanity check is all since I don't see it in documentation explicitly.

Windchill (and this community in general) taught me that just because I think something needs to be done a certain way doesn't mean that it's

a) a good idea,

b) how PTC intended for that to happen in the first place and

c) possible without requiring excessive tweaks that are prone to breaking later. 

On testing, it seems to work just fine with multiple activities running in parallel. As long as the right logic is in place (mostly OR and AND nodes in my case for correct pauses in the workflow) there don't seem to be any issues. 

Time will tell if this remains the case. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:Dobi)

Hi @Dobi 

If you test it and it works, so it works. what pros/cons are you looking for? 

PetrH

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:HelesicPetr)

@HelesicPetr I'm mostly looking for a sanity check is all since I don't see it in documentation explicitly.

Windchill (and this community in general) taught me that just because I think something needs to be done a certain way doesn't mean that it's

a) a good idea,

b) how PTC intended for that to happen in the first place and

c) possible without requiring excessive tweaks that are prone to breaking later. 

On testing, it seems to work just fine with multiple activities running in parallel. As long as the right logic is in place (mostly OR and AND nodes in my case for correct pauses in the workflow) there don't seem to be any issues. 

Time will tell if this remains the case. 

Top Tags