cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Anyone know good options for ProE data management?

BarrySchaeffer
1-Newbie

Anyone know good options for ProE data management?

ProE gurus,

By now, you've probably heard that PTC has retired their Product Point data management tool.

At the present time, we are plugging along with 32-bit machines, Wildfire 3, and Intralink 3.4. As you can imagine, we would strongly prefer to be using Windows 7 x64 and Wildfire 5. We are pretty familiar with the recent history of Intralink support, including that of its Windchill versions (e.g. 9.X). We were not especially thrilled with any of this. We were hoping that Product Point would grow to become as good as Intralink 3.X.

As you might expect, we will do our best to evaluate PDMLink 10.0 as a CAD vaulting solution. We have no interest in the other PDM functions of PDMLink, because we recently spent a large amount of time and money to implement TeamCenter for that purpose.

I have periodically seen emails from other ProE users asking the same questions that I must now ask:

1. Does anyone know a CAD data manager that can handle ProE file vaulting and change management (from a solid and well-financed company)?

2. Does anyone have a year or more of actual operating experience (doing ProE file vaulting and change management) using tools from other vendors (e.g. from Solidworks, Autodesk, UGS, or others)?

If you choose to respond, I will appreciate and respect your limited time.

Thanks,

Barry Schaeffer
Fluke
Everett, WA

4 REPLIES 4

As bitter a pill as Windchill seems to be, based on the following threads, I don't see any attractive alternatives.

I'm a bit confused by this; when did PTC plan to 'retire' ProductPoint? It is my understanding ProductPoint 2.0 F000 is slated to be released within a couple of months and that the M010 build is schedule for Q3 2011, that sounds like active development to me. I tried to find a PTC statement regarding ProductPoint being retired but haven't managed to, can you direct me to the source of this information please?

Ian Bagnald | System Support Analyst Sr.
Moog Components Group

Wow; way to go PTC, release a product, move customers to it, EOL it and force them to re-implement a more complicated and expensive solution that requires new hardware and likely professional services to implement and migrate to. What a cash grab. One of our other locations is using ProductPoint and we've been waiting for 2.0 so we can upgrade them to SharePoint 2010... sounds like that might not happen after all. I'm just glad we didn't move to it at this location.

Thanks for the responses.

Ian Bagnald | System Support Analyst Sr.
Moog Components Group
Top Tags