cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

AutoCAD generates error Unable to Save Drawing to Workspace. Drawing saved to Windchill\saveXXXX.tmp

agarr
8-Gravel

AutoCAD generates error Unable to Save Drawing to Workspace. Drawing saved to Windchill\saveXXXX.tmp

My company uses AutoDesk (Inventor & AutoCAD) products and PTC (Creo) products. For AutoCAD we use the Workgroup Manager and sometimes we get an error during usage that shows belowMicrosoftTeams-image (12).png. I can't trace the source of why it is happening. It basically blocks all the information for saving from AutoCAD once this error is shown to the user. Has anyone else see this? You can delete the local Windchill folder and re-setup the connection for the Workgroup Manager to the CAD tools, however, the user always ends up losing work because of this.

17 REPLIES 17
ThangLe
6-Contributor
(To:agarr)

Was there a resolution for this? I am also experiencing this problem.

agarr
8-Gravel
(To:ThangLe)

No we have not found anything. PTC support desk said that I needed log files showing when it happens to diagnosis anything. I don't know the cause so we can't run the logs constant.to capture. The closest information I have found is here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-forum/unable-to-save-files-creating-tmp-files-instead-autocad-lt-2014/m-p/4531107#M117508

I have a test running trying this option: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-LT/files/GUID-469DFA87-1986-4BDA-918B-1E3F9D6FCDC2-htm.html

Both of those are not for current versions, but I think still apply. We are on AutoDesk 2018, what version are you on?

ThangLe
6-Contributor

We are also using AutoCAD 2018. For some users, opening the drawing, moving some stuff around and re-saving causes the issue. Clearing the Workgroup Manager cache does help temporarily. 

agarr
8-Gravel

Clearing the cache helps a little. We have found in many cases that we have to delete the C:drive location of the files and re-authenticate to the CAD tools to get it go away for longer periods of time.
We are PTC cloud based, with SSO. Do either of those apply to your current configuration.
ThangLe
6-Contributor

Not cloud based but have single sign on.

ThangLe
6-Contributor

There is a new Workgroup Manager (CPS17) that may resolve your issue.

agarr
8-Gravel

Have you tested to see if it resolved your issue?

ThangLe
6-Contributor

Yes, the update resolved the issue.

JHall
16-Pearl

We have a similar error using Inventor.  We discovered it was Microsoft OneDrive.  This is how we resolved it.

Cause

1. OneDrive activated

Resolution

1. Turn off the "Files on Demand" feature in OneDrive settings
  2. Reboot the client

Once that is done, we didn't see that error any longer. 

agarr
8-Gravel
(To:JHall)

We have tried that with no success in preventing it from happening again.
JHall
16-Pearl

@agarr  Well, that's very unfortunate.

A second issue we've discovered is that during a Windows 10 update (these happen with no warning) we have the same issue.  However once the update is complete, and you've rebooted all is well.

Could your problem be occurring during a Windows update?

agarr
8-Gravel

Yes I have found that I get reports of it at times of the Windows updates, which I think is related to the cache being used for downloading the updates and causes a disconnect of Windchill. But due to the happening without warning, there isn't much I can do to prevent it. I have found a few articles on AutoCAD's website stating this is a problem with any cloud based storage location. But they don't offer any solutions.
JHall
16-Pearl

Would you have a link you could share about those articles you found?

agarr
8-Gravel

This is the most beneficial: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-forum/unable-to-save-files-creating-tmp-files-instead-autocad-lt-2014/m-p/4531107#M117508
The other one I had and we tested was dealing with ISAVEPERCENT, we have tried that one and it didn't have any affect on the creation of the .tmp
PS- I should add that we are PTC cloud hosted with Single Sign On. We are currently 11.1 M020 CPS12. Not sure if any of that matters.
JHall
16-Pearl

@agarr 

We are Non-PTC cloud hosted with Single Sign On. We are currently 11.0 M030 CPS18.

Thanks for the link!  It looks very much like what we are experinceing.

James

ThangLe
6-Contributor

From an enterprise level, do you have any backup programs? We did found out that a backup program can interfere with the save.

agarr
8-Gravel

The backup programs run overnight hours so I don't think they would be causing any of the issues.
Top Tags