cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Deleted parts and assembly from workspace that was never in common space

CS_10788072
2-Guest

Deleted parts and assembly from workspace that was never in common space

I deleted parts and an assembly from the workspace that was never in common space. Is there a way to recover these items?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

^^^ THIS. I agree. The local cache should have copies of anything saved in the workspace. If you can't install the recovery tool, I use notepad++ inspect the files (names and type will be in the header)... then literally rename the .lid file as the original file name... open in creo.. BAM.

The other option is Workspace Frames (as ThreeBlindMice mentions below). Windchill saves a copy of the Worksapce as it looked (and tied to the lid/pid /sid files) every time a Windchill action is performed. The drawback, is there is a limit (to limit the size of your cache). I think it is 10 "frames" by default - and that can be changed by preference Workgroup Manager Client > Workspace Frame Stack Size. Individual users can set this, or you can change the default at site/org if you want... note that this will increase the size of the local cache.

Also, I find that users... when they realize they lost a file... they continue to do Windchill actions frantically trying to retrieve the lost file... Clear the workspace... redownload etc. I have basically worked with my users to contact me directly when a file is missing... DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE!! If the default is 10 frames... and they realized it is gone... clear the workspace... 9 frames... add to workspace 8 frames... download previous version... 7 frames... 10 frames disappear quickly when a user is trying to recover a days worth of work.... If they have moved through their available frames, the only option left is recovering from the local cache with the recovery tool or manually. 

Good Luck

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:CS_10788072)

No

Only files checked in to a folder on the server are preserved.

If you have Save and Upload enabled, there is a possibility that they could be in a cache folder, but that would take some searching as the file names would be hashed to some sequential alpha-numeric hexadecimal number.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

Well, maybe but its a long shot. First, make a backup of the workspace cache area. Any files you were looking for would have naming that looks like "lid" something. Get a copy of the workspace cache recovery tool. 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/Windchill-Cache-Recovery-Tool-Version-2-05-WC-FileRecovery-64/m-p/450895

This can extract any files that remain but there is a chance that it was indeed whacked.

^^^ THIS. I agree. The local cache should have copies of anything saved in the workspace. If you can't install the recovery tool, I use notepad++ inspect the files (names and type will be in the header)... then literally rename the .lid file as the original file name... open in creo.. BAM.

The other option is Workspace Frames (as ThreeBlindMice mentions below). Windchill saves a copy of the Worksapce as it looked (and tied to the lid/pid /sid files) every time a Windchill action is performed. The drawback, is there is a limit (to limit the size of your cache). I think it is 10 "frames" by default - and that can be changed by preference Workgroup Manager Client > Workspace Frame Stack Size. Individual users can set this, or you can change the default at site/org if you want... note that this will increase the size of the local cache.

Also, I find that users... when they realize they lost a file... they continue to do Windchill actions frantically trying to retrieve the lost file... Clear the workspace... redownload etc. I have basically worked with my users to contact me directly when a file is missing... DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE!! If the default is 10 frames... and they realized it is gone... clear the workspace... 9 frames... add to workspace 8 frames... download previous version... 7 frames... 10 frames disappear quickly when a user is trying to recover a days worth of work.... If they have moved through their available frames, the only option left is recovering from the local cache with the recovery tool or manually. 

Good Luck

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:jbailey)

Hi @jbailey 

I would just say that default value is zero 0 . So in OOTB configuration frames are not used.

Set "Workspace Frame Stack Size" to 20-50. I have experience that if the size was 100+ it cases performance troubles.

PetrH

IT is... odd.. Every place I worked must have decided 10 was the best place to start :-). I suggest our folks 25 frames.

Theres a chance if it was a recent deletion.  On your workspace page in Creo, you should see a box labelled "Pick an Action"

If you go to Event Manager, theres a history of frames in your workspace.  Its possible the deleted objects are existing in a frame of your workspace.  CHeck those events to see.

Top Tags