cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Help tying 'file name' and 'number' together on rename operation.

ptc-1221945
1-Newbie

Help tying 'file name' and 'number' together on rename operation.

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight on tying these two fields together during rename and save-as operations. In our case (and when new CAD objects are created) the 'number' parameter is always derived from the file name. I have attached a screenshot from PTC's documentation (titled Using Pro/Engineer Wildfire with Windchill) that shows what I would like--the 'new number' field is grayed out and I presume this is because it is inheriting the new number parameter from one of the other 2 fields.

When I asked my own IT department if they could customize this, their initial response was that it would be easy to do it if I wanted the 'new file name' taken from the 'new number,' but if i wanted it the other way around (which i do), it wasn't going to be easy. They then asked PTC how to do it, and the answer was 'word from PTC was that this was a customization that they will not support.'

It just seems to me that if they've got what I want in their technical documentation, it should be a lot easier than that for me to get it to work here. So I turn to the exploder: can anybody point me in the right direction for this customization for 'rename' and 'save-as' operations? Thanks,

-Randy

4 REPLIES 4

I just wanted to add if it wasn't clear: Currently when I do a rename or save-as operation, none of the fields is grayed out--I have to enter a new name, file name, AND number. The screen shot that I included in the above post is where I'm trying to get to.For the time being, we have to manually fill in each field.

I can't understand you... 😃 You want number always to be the same as fileName or not?

Been thru the same issue. Was told by PTC not possible in 9.0, need to file enhancement request.

For save as, there is thepreference "Set File Name Same As Number", but thats it. You will still need to set the name separately.

Seems like something this basic should have been thought of by PTC.

Dear Randy,

We had done a similar customization for one of our customers (Sync name and cad name),I think that for the number,it is more or less the same.

http://www.wincom-consulting.co.uk/products/cad-rename-utility/

Best regards.

Nassim.

Top Tags