cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Managing fasteners in Windchill

Tom_Servo
4-Participant

Managing fasteners in Windchill

Windchill pro's I need your help....

All of our fasteners are 'rubber band' parts that are unique to each job that we do. Now that we have switched to Windchill and WTParts, I am being asked to update the fasteners, that reside within in our new job template models, from the unique rubber band type fasteners to now use library parts. Our template models are heavily programed so I will need some way to still have the fasteners build themselves based on model parameters (bolt type, bolt material, bolt length, and so on).

What alternatives are there to family tables if I want to our models to programmatically select the correct fasteners from the library? 

We already have the fastener information in excel files so I could pretty easily make family tables but from what I have read about them I get the feeling that there may be a better way. If I can't find a better way to do it, my fall back plan is to create family tables then use them in an "bolt" assembly that uses the lookup_inst function to swap out the instances. 

What would be amazing, is if there where some lookup tool that I could just use to search through the Windchill library by property to pull in the correct part number (file name) and then just use that to drive the parameter in Pro/Program that pulls in the appropriate part: ADD COMPONENT (parameter).

And what about using a user program or some other external tool to look up file names?

What do you think?

4 REPLIES 4
Ajit_Kulkarni
14-Alexandrite
(To:Tom_Servo)

I do not have any straight answer but you may able to accomplish this by using options and variant module. Please find below the link. 

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.0.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/OptionsOVCapabOview.html  

Trying not to kill a fly with cannon here, but depending on quantities of your custom fasteners, you might consider Parts Classification instead of Options and Variants.

Parts Classification is an add on module for Windchill that sounds like it does a lot of what you are asking for.

Also there is a good discussion on Family Tables in general here:

Windchill-and-Family-Tables 

Tom_Servo
4-Participant
(To:mdebower)

Thank you @mdebower   

We don't have parts classification yet, but we will be implementing it very soon. Do you have any additional information on how I can leverage parts classification to search for file names by attributes programmatically?

aacciano3
14-Alexandrite
(To:Tom_Servo)

Looks like you are using Creo Parametric.

Have you looked into IFX module?

It integrates with Windchill as well.

Top Tags