cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Massive STATE value change in Windchill

josepsb
6-Contributor

Massive STATE value change in Windchill

Is there any way to update in a massive way STATE value from INWORK to RELEASED for parts in Windchill?

Thanks

Josep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@josepsb  I did this with a bunch of objects when I was classifying them.  But I just tested this to make sure and I am able to change the state using an importable spreadsheet by changing the state attribute in the spreadsheet.  I am logged in as orgadmin.  Did you export the list as an importable spreadsheet and use this file?

export.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

How many objects are you talking about? With the correct permissions, you can use 'Set State' to set the state pretty quickly for 1000's of objects. If you are doing 10,000-100,000 you can change the Windchill preference Tables>Size Limit to something like 10,000-50,000 temporarily.

Keep in mind if you have Windchill publishing turned on for PDF, STPs, etc., setting the state will likely create a republish event.

josepsb
6-Contributor
(To:lhoogeveen)

Are 23289 parts that its documentation is in RELEASED State, but Part is in INWORK State, This is due to a bad migration I think, I´ve tried through an excel template but STATE is not updated, it works for description and other fields but not for STATE.

So I do not know if I´m doing something wrong or STATE cannot be updated using excel templates, even that in this page says STATE is EDITABLE or REIMPORT

https://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/whc/whc_en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FImExFileFormatParts.html%23https://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/whc/whc_en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FImExFileFormatParts.html%23

Set State method is very slow to use it for such number of parts, I´ve already tried.

Do you know about the 'Target State' command at the top of the Set State window? It lets you change set the target state for the selected objects all at once. Usually the slowest thing is collecting objects in the first place but there's some tips for that: search by modified date, modified by, location, etc.

Quickly Set State.jpg

josepsb
6-Contributor
(To:lhoogeveen)

I´ve tried twice just collecting 237 parts and after 2 hours waiting is still collecting parts, no way for 28000 parts, not productive for such number of parts.

@josepsb  I did this with a bunch of objects when I was classifying them.  But I just tested this to make sure and I am able to change the state using an importable spreadsheet by changing the state attribute in the spreadsheet.  I am logged in as orgadmin.  Did you export the list as an importable spreadsheet and use this file?

export.jpg

Thanks so much, it Works in this way, I´ve tried for a several parts and Works perfectly!!! 😀

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:josepsb)

Two options:

1. Use the lifecycle reassign utility from a windchill shell.  In multiple companies, I've been involved in using this several times.  Have to be careful but works.  Back up the database before executing.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS111553?&language=en&posno=2&q=lifecycle%20reassign%20utility&source=search

2. Assuming the current lifecycle has a Promotion transition from the current state to the desired state, massively add all objects to a single Promotion Request and let it process thru the state change.

josepsb
6-Contributor
(To:MikeLockwood)

Thanks for your reply, previous conversation gave me the solution!!! less risky than yours I think, 😅, Thanks anyway!!!

Top Tags