cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Need Help updating Drawing Notes in Windchill

oderuntz
5-Regular Member

Need Help updating Drawing Notes in Windchill

Our notes were originally created as CAD parts, type: other.

These notes show up in my \Creo-Standards\Notes folder.

However, I am not able to edit the notes.

I created new updated notes however they import as text files and are not visible or selectable to add to my drawings.

oderuntz_0-1694790747728.jpeg

How do I either:

1) edit my existing CAD part note file?

2) Create a new CAD part with Type: other as a note file in my default directory?

3) Convert my .txt files to a file that is selectable for a drawing note?

I'm using CREO 7 and Windchill 11.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:oderuntz)

You create and edit the .txt files outside of the context of Windchill. You create the note initially using a simple text editor like notepad or notepad++. Then import the .txt file into your workspace. You can check the file into the CS.

To edit the file, you checkout and download the file to your workspace [connected to Creo Parametric], and then export the .txt file from your workspace to disk.  Edit the file on disk, save, import back into your workspace as modified, and then check the file back into the CS.

I just tested creating an annotation note via a .txt file from the CS, and had no issues.

Can you please explain what process you're using for creating the note via .txt files from the CS?  The screen shot you included looks like the .txt file imported as the correct object type (listed as "other").  It looks like it should work.

In drawing mode:  Annotate (Tab) > Annotations (Group) > Note (unattached) > Select a location on screen > Text (Group) > Note from File > browse to the CS location of the .txt files and select a file 

Regards,

Dan N.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I would move them out of Windchill and use a shared drive location and then use the config.pro setting of Pro_Note_Dir to point to that shared folder. This may make it easier to load the notes into Creo, but the ability to edit the notes would be open to anyone without special permissions on the folder.

If the notes must be kept in Windchill, did you check the file out and make the changes and then check it back in?

What text editor are you using to edit the notes?

What does the detail page on the 2 types show for information pertaining to the file type?

oderuntz
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

I did create a folder on our server that works. However, I would rather maintain the note files in Windchill.

The part file that works is a Type:  CAD Document ; Document Category: other ; Life Cycle Template: Coravin Two Phase. I cannot check it out because it says the object type is not eligible. 

The other file does not have a 'Type'. Format name: Text File ; Life Cycle Template: Basic

Hello @oderuntz 

Have you tried to add the CAD Document text file to a workspace and check-out it from there?

The note text file should be maintained from Creo because it is a CAD Document 

PetrH

oderuntz
5-Regular Member
(To:HelesicPetr)

PetrH,

I can check the file out and into a workspace, but I can't open it to edit.

I have looked at every option. 

I can add the note to a drawing and edit it in the drawing, but I found no way to save it back to windchill to update.

I guess I don't really know what kind of a CAD Document the notes are or how to create new files.

OTTO

@oderuntz 

You need to download the text file to your local disc and edit it in any text editor. 

Then import it to the workspace and synchronize with existing object in commonspace and check it in

PetrH

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:BenLoosli)

A colleague here built a VBA tool driven off excel for our drawing notes. Its trigged via a mapkey and allows users to select from standard notes and create a notes block that is automatically placed on the drawing. Its an awesome tool. Notes are stored in a single excel file that is maintained and updated with standard notes.

avillanueva_2-1695131797400.png

dnordin
15-Moonstone

Try adding the following to your config.pro file allow_import_file_extension txt.  That will allow you to import .txt files into your WS and they should show up as "other" objects instead of them showing up as documents.  I'm not sure if you need to delete or rename the existing document files that are already in the CS in order to check in the "other" objects with the same name.  It's been a while since I had to work with these.

Regards,

Dan N.

oderuntz
5-Regular Member
(To:dnordin)

Dan,

I added the config command, and I can bring the file into my workspace, However, I can't open it or edit it. 

I can check it out and back in. Below is the part Details.

It seems that inserting text into a drawing from a file in Windchill the text needs to be a CAD Document, which I can't figure out how to make.

If I insert text from a location outside of Windchill I can insert a .txt file.

Screen Shot 09-18-23 at 03.53 PM.JPG

dnordin
15-Moonstone

You create and edit the .txt files outside of the context of Windchill. You create the note initially using a simple text editor like notepad or notepad++. Then import the .txt file into your workspace. You can check the file into the CS.

To edit the file, you checkout and download the file to your workspace [connected to Creo Parametric], and then export the .txt file from your workspace to disk.  Edit the file on disk, save, import back into your workspace as modified, and then check the file back into the CS.

I just tested creating an annotation note via a .txt file from the CS, and had no issues.

Can you please explain what process you're using for creating the note via .txt files from the CS?  The screen shot you included looks like the .txt file imported as the correct object type (listed as "other").  It looks like it should work.

In drawing mode:  Annotate (Tab) > Annotations (Group) > Note (unattached) > Select a location on screen > Text (Group) > Note from File > browse to the CS location of the .txt files and select a file 

Regards,

Dan N.

oderuntz
5-Regular Member
(To:dnordin)

Thank You ALL! I knew it was easy, somehow. 😉

First, I forgot where to find the 'import to WS' button.

Then, I had my workspace set to my Creo Standards/Notes directory. When in that workspace I was unable to import the .txt file. Once I created a temporary WS all was good.

I had been asking my VAR, for almost 2 years, for a solution. If I pushed it they would have charged us likely hundreds of dollars to figure it out. 😬

Top Tags