cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Only Pro/Engineer Authored CAD Documents are valid for export.

tjerome
9-Granite

Only Pro/Engineer Authored CAD Documents are valid for export.

I am trying to export files that were non native , that is a visio drawing .vsd, and a Microsoft Word document .docx. These were imported ok into my Windchill PDM Link.10.2 workspace as dynamic documents, but I cannot export them. I get the error shown in the topic title.

Has anyone encountered this and have a workaround?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:tjerome)

Out of curiosity, why where the .vsd and .docx files imported as Dynamic Documents instead of being stored as a WTDocument object type?

One option you have is that you can track the specific objects in the database to their "ApplicationData" record in the DB, which will point to an identifying number that, when translated to hexadecimal format, will match the vault file (assuming this data is vaulted).  Also assuming you have access to the file vault directly, you could then copy that file directly from the vault and rename it with the proper extension and then you should be able to open it in its native application.

Hi Bob

there really wasnt an option to choose any other object type when the file was imported.

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:tjerome)

Hmmm - I ask because the WTDocument type can very easily store these object types, and doesn't require a WGM to use - it is simple download/upload, check-out/check-in functionality.

I'm also curious as to what options were presented to you for the import, as there are definitely ways to "bulk load" WTDocuments with content files.  One way would be as a "mini-migration", loading everything using the LoadFromFile framework from the Windchill server itself.  You can specify where they exist, what version they are at, any other attributes/IBAs associated, etc.

Is this a wide-spread issue with these types of objects stored as Dynamic Documents?  Or is this only pertaining to a handful of files?  Was this an import done by a third-party?  Was there a specific requirement that forced the use of Dynamic Documents?

Top Tags