cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

PDF stamping in Windchill

dvarkevisser
1-Newbie

PDF stamping in Windchill

Dear all,

I am looking for a way to publish Windchill information like "State" and "Revision" on pdf's received from supliers.

In some cases we receive pdf's from components that have been designed by supliers. These pdf's are managed in Windchill. In Windchill these pdf's are being released with a promotion request e.g. .

When this pdf is opened from Windchill it would be verry nice if Windchill attributes like State an Revision are shown on the document. A solution like the office integration for pdf documents.

I know that there are other PLM solutions which offer the ability to stamp pdf's with PLM-attributes.

I also found a solution for this problem on http://www.najanaja.com/node/8but I am looking for alternatives beside this.

Kind regards,

Dennis Varkevisser

+31 6 50 68 01 79
</u>
1 REPLY 1

This was one of the essential points of my presentation at PTC/User in Orlando this year about using ProductView in an integrated way - along with a follow-up webcast that I did recently. If you'd like a copies, the ptc folks copied here will probably be happy to get them to you.

Needed for what you propose:
- Purchase and use Document Collaboration Option (extends publishing and watermarking to PDF's and MS Word). Need to manage the server process ongoing, plus each client has to have an install (in addition to ProductView itself). As of 9.1, it works correctly with both Lite and Professional.
- Establish a controlled state change process (e.g. Promotion Requests routed thru the correct Role(s)) for the PDF's from suppliers (the watermark applied depends on the state) and establish watermarks by each state used. You may possibly want to create Documents (containers) for the PDF's from suppliers as a different Document object type with a different lifeyecle for this purpose.

Once you have established the process, it's pretty much auto-pilot and works very nicely to solve exactly the issue described below - but it also requires that you enforce having to have a watermark on all such documents for business use - ensuring that each came from the controlled system and went thru the controlled state change process.
Top Tags