cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Regenerated cad information through Windchill

tfritsch
4-Participant

Regenerated cad information through Windchill

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 11.1 and Datecode with CPS M020-CPS27

It is possible to have a status in windchill of CAD Part and ASM about the regenerated action in creo.
We have some objets not generated and we want to know how many without to open Creo parametric for each

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:tfritsch)

I am sure its possible to add an attribute to indicated this. There might be something within model check to check for this can pass that into a parameter in the CAD file. But, you also said you did not want to open Creo parametric for each. That is not possible since only way to create and populate this attribute is by iterating every model. This would only work from this point on.

If you are able to detect the status when opening, its possible to script this task and record the results in an automated fashion.  You can pull a list of CAD models you want to check, have a mapkey script that opens each, checks status, records results, closes and moves on to the next one. It would not require a user to manually open each one. 

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Model check can be used in Creo as a gate keeper for checking in models with problems into Windchill. It requires setting it up in Creo and running it on models when they get checked in though.

d_graham
17-Peridot

@avillanueva and @Chris3 ,

It sounds like @tfritsch is asking for something now.  Not how can I sent Windchill up to do this in the future.

The short answer, @tfritsch is there's nothing OOTB to do this, however, one idea would be to run a script on all objects and check if the latest iteration was checked in after the objects that it uses/references.  This would in no way give you and accurate answer however because the change to a used object could be a benign metadata change that would not affect the used by object.

You could go one step further and have this script find the date of the primary content file (the cad file itself) in the file vault and use that date where comparing to dates of the files from the cad objects being used/referenced, but that too would be just best guess guide.

Great question, but I don't think you can get a bombproof, definitive answer from Windchill as things stand now.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:d_graham)

@d_graham , I think I was trying to answer that. I took the question to mean how could @tfritsch get the regeneration status of the object. I believe Creo allows save without regenerating and can allow for regeneration issues to be noted and fixed later. I think the only way to get this information is to open the model. You do raise other point I had not considered which was cases where things are out of date. That's a tough one since its a never ending check. 

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

As other experts have guided here, ModelCheck captures if Model is Regenerated and also stores the Result as Attributes, which can be configured easily to be seen in Windchill. This is best way to do this for Objects that Users interact. 

Check the batch model in ModelCheck that can process 1000's of objects and do the same. I think you can process "InWork" objects and leave "Released" Objects in that batch. Once done,  Next time onwards, User interaction will update the attribute as ModelCheck can be configured accordingly.

Best Regards

Hari

cgautier
17-Peridot

Hello tfritsch,
You're looking for information regarding Windchill, thanks for reaching out, this is Charles from PTC Technical Support in Europe.
Was the information provided helpful somehow?
KR,
Charles.

Top Tags