cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Searching for & retrieving a previous revision of prt/asm/drw

jschutte
7-Bedrock

Searching for & retrieving a previous revision of prt/asm/drw

We are currently on Windchill PDMLInk Release: 11.2.1.17.  We were supposed to upgrade first quarter 2023 but it was moved to 2024 by management. 

In earlier versions of Windchill a user could do a search for a objectname* & get all revisions, prt/asm/drw.  From there it was a clunky but doable process to restore a previous revision when needed (a extremely rare situation).  However, today I attempted to show it was done & as a user my search only showed the current revision(s).  

Logging in as organization admin (in a seperate browser) I was able to successfully see ALL of the revisions of that same object name.   

It's been a long time since I attempted this, certainly a few versions ago.   Is there a permission lever that our users would need to be able to search for & access previous revisions?

Thanks,

Joe S. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:jschutte)

Yes, this makes sense.  There are two ways to get the search results to display multiple revisions of the same object.

1.)  Change your search preference 'Latest Version Search' to 'No'.  This will affect all searches.

TomU_0-1678465402761.png

TomU_4-1678465661476.png

TomU_3-1678465595296.png

2.)  Search explicitly for all revisions.

TomU_5-1678465790751.png

TomU_6-1678465823916.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Object permissions are controlled by lifecycle states.  If the non-latest versions (revisions) are at the same lifecycle state, then they should all be visible from the object's history page.

Keep in mind that this is not what is seen from search results or when viewing a folder.  The search and folder display can be configured to only show the latest version or to show all versions.

For example:

TomU_0-1678375063224.png

jschutte
7-Bedrock
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

Two things. 

The State in all our files (prt.,asm., & drw) are set to "In Work".  We do not use the workflow in Windchill, we use a different program & publish from there.  If the drawing is released, the user has to increment the revision level in Windchill & make the change.   But in Windchill the objects always stay "In Work".

The Latest Version Search in Preference Management is set to "No".   

Funny thing is this problem of only seeing the latest version seems to effect only myself.  I had another user check & they can see all versions/revisions in Windchill.   Weird problem,  

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Can you please clarify where you're seeing the difference?  Is this in the search results, objects displayed in a folder, or single object's history?

jschutte
7-Bedrock

Putting the object name in the search field in Commonspace with a wildcard.  It does not matter which one I use but the example I selected I know has a lot of revisions (currently on Rev T).  All I get when I search is the .prt & the .drw of Rev T.

Any other user gets all of the revisions back to Rev H where it was moved from Acad (2D) to ProE.  There are old drafting board drawings of this part from the 1950s in our flat files.

So where I am seeing the difference is in the search results using the embedded browser in Creo 6.0.  After clicking the search icon, you go to the results page.  Here you can select "Search History and Saved Searchs" | Advanced Search. Any other user gets a list of all revisions of the drw & .prt files.  

Does this make sense?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yes, this makes sense.  There are two ways to get the search results to display multiple revisions of the same object.

1.)  Change your search preference 'Latest Version Search' to 'No'.  This will affect all searches.

TomU_0-1678465402761.png

TomU_4-1678465661476.png

TomU_3-1678465595296.png

2.)  Search explicitly for all revisions.

TomU_5-1678465790751.png

TomU_6-1678465823916.png

jschutte
7-Bedrock

Wow.  I've never seen that menu before & I've been running Windchill since 10.1, Intralink before that back to 1.0.

Somehow that latest version search got set to YES.   Setting it to now fixed it, thanks!

Top Tags