cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Site.xconf settings to rehost

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Site.xconf settings to rehost

I am working through a cloning rehost to get a 10.0 m040 system that I can do test work on.

I installed Oracle on its machine and run the PTC Setup for Oracle.

Installed Windchill on its machine.

OOTB Windchill can be started.

Did a drop user PDM and Create_user PDM on the Oracle machine

Imported the Oracle dump from my production machine.

Imported the LDIF backup from production.

Ran the rehost utility with I think proper settings.

When I look at the site.xconf file on both machines, it does not match.

Does the rehost utility copy the wt.properties and other *.properties files from the source to the target machines when it runs?

There is no mention of copying these files in the rehost guide, yet without them, the target machine is not a complete rehost.

Any insights on what files should be manually copied over? There are a lot of *.properties files, so maybe just the site.xconf should be copied, edited for node name and then propagated.

Does the Rehost Guide need to be revisied to add this information?

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

I can't speak to 10.0 specifically, but if it works similar to 11.0 then no, the rehost scenario does not copy the Windchill installation files (including properties files.)  I believe the clone scenario should be able to do this, but I prefer to just use my own file copying utility to synchronize the two systems prior to running the rehost utility.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

If I redo my rehost utility to be copy instead of rehost, that brings in other issues.

Are the file vaults copied as part of the rehost copy or do I need to copy them before hand?

Oracle and Windchill servers having empty folders for the copied files and permission to copy the files is not an issue. BUT do you do the rehost copy with the source system running or shutdown? I would assume shutdown so you can get all of the files copied over. Is Oracle running or shutdown when you do the copy?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

The vault module is capable of copying the file vault for you but I just copy it myself before I run the rehost utility.  See these two discussions:

Personally I copy the source system with it running.  I don't want to have to shut down production just to rehost.  Yes, this can cause some potential issues on the rehosted system, but if I'm just testing I don't really care.  If you want a completely clean rehost, stop Windchill and then take your DB snapshot and file copies.

Top Tags